Dual boot garuda linux

No, the bootloader is the part that actually boots your install. In this case, grub.

1 Like

Has this ever happened to you?

By the way, Catra is right.
Look, we have been multibooting for some time, and we are telling from our experiences. And you should do it in UEFI only, and I won’t suggest duel-booting in Legacy boot either, you can watch the video which I have, given in my first post, to know more about this.
And the mess you are talking isn’t really a mess, it is quite easy to solve:

You are already provided two guides, from which you can refer from.
And nothing is really going to happen to your disk, and it will never happen to your windows install :joy:, If it happens to Linux, you have already got the solutions in either of the above links, and anyway we are here only.
And nothing is really going to happen.
But this is important, you should learn what is BIOS and all its functions

1 Like

yep I have done all of that and I will duel boot soon

1 Like

Never say never, because you never know for sure. :rofl:

4 Likes

Uh guys now this happens

Also now my bios doesn’t recognize my original windows boot loader and will not boot into windows

Yay my entire windows drive was wiped. Luckily I save stuff on the cloud, I’m just gonna switch to Garuda permanently

5 Likes

Your subconscious was asking for it, or maybe Garuda Linux is gaining some real consciousness! :wink:

1 Like

I was trying to install zoom which is necessary using Garuda ultimate. I finished the installation but zoom doesn’t exist on my computer

It is in the AUR repository.
Open a terminal and enter:
paru zoom

Of course, before installing anything additional perform a full update of your system.
Check this Wiki entry for example:

1 Like

Thanks I’m a beginner so this is all confusing

No problem. Take your time, the time you spend to understand what you're doing or to understand the context is invested not wasted!
To update your system you'll have to refresh (actually create, the first time) your mirror lists, i.e. the servers where the system will go check for updates.
Then you necessarily need a complete update because an ISO image is never "current/updated", especially with a rolling release.

3 Likes

What command do I do to update or create mirror lists then?

Hey if ur going to use linux then u need to learn stuff as required. As for dual booting don't just accept what admins have written it's linux. Experiment>fix or it works it's just linux-windows problem in general.
I'm dual booting linux since a year I have installed many distros nothing ever breaked.
And the biggest of them all I updated to windows 11 when it came out if that didn't flush the efi partition nothing actually should for most part .

So feel really free to dual boot and make sure OS prober is enabled a step to take after installation and booting into the system

upd from terminal updates the mirrorlist and then also the system.
After the big initial update there will be a new/recent command/script called update which will do the same and more (I spare you the details for the moment :slight_smile:

I tried to install zoom and I got this problem

Also to change from MBR (if that's the case) download minitool partition in windows and search on YouTube change partition table from MBR to GPT using minitool partition. It's really really easy and most probably safe and recommend before u started messing stuff

I now get this error that just goes back and forward

Use this to fix it

3 Likes

Thank you and everyone on this forum so much for helping me. I am very lucky I have so many helpful and experienced users like you. Again, thank you!!

1 Like

Now let me spend a few words to recap what shouldn't be done...
Don't take me wrong, it is for everybody's benefit. The more we keep this forum clean, the more it will continue to be an incredibly valuable resource.

1. Don't include pictures or even screenshots, especially since the system is actually working. Copy terminal text and add 3 ~ before and after the text block (for formatting). In that way, your text will be better readable, can be copied and used e.g. for searches and searchable by future users with your same problem.
  2. One problem at a time. In the future open a separate topic for each request (e.g. zoom). Same reasons as above.
  3. Try to avoid the chat style with a ping pong of many posts (I understand sometimes it is natural)
  4. Learn how to use fourm search function (most of the things we "discussed" here are easily retrievable with the search icon).
    :wave:
5 Likes