Discussion about LxQt

Decided to install the lxqt version of garuda instead of KDE,feels sad to let it go.

1 Like

LxQt was designed just for situations like yours, based on your brief hardware description. Plus, it was only recently promoted as a DE, being the red-headed stepchild of LXDE and (Razor) QT, so you get to experience it as more and more applications and services as they are being improved or newly developed.

I’m considering it on my 1st Gen i5 (or is it 2nd Gen i3?). I mixed & matched RAM from a couple other laptops to get 6 Gigs. I installed Garuda Xfce, knowing Xfce was no longer very “lightweight.” It helped, as far as having enough RAM but the bottleneck is now the processor and hardware bus. I suppose I could go about overclocking it, but I would rather not.

When I get done re-installing Arch on my desktop today, I may consider Arch or Garuda LxQt on the old baby.

Keep me posted on how you’re doing with it, please?

3 Likes

Hmm interesting,
As per my basic testing as of now
I have both systems installed rebalanced both of them, my swap usage is comparatively lower compared to KDE, around 643 mb with some heavy code running on KDE, and around 264 mb on lqxt, Temps are better on idling, not much difference in Temps when subjected to load, boot times obviously faster.
Initial testing^^^^
same kernel.
One difference in the setups those thats the swappiness and vfs cache pressure, the one on KDE is more optimized for my setup, achieved by "tinkering".
Will keep you posted

1 Like

Thank you @regularCoder , and would a kind Moderator please move this off-topic discussion into some place more appropriate? Pretty please?
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Where to? Just name it!..

1 Like

I was dithering between a new LxQt Chat topic in Community, or the LxQt sub-forum of Issues & Assistance, but it's (the brief install plus followup chat) not really a problem...yet.

I leave it to wiser heads to decide...like yours (since you peeped up). Heeheeheeheehee... :smiley:

regards

2 Likes

We have an issue here,
I am unable to specify a password for the wifi network in connman giving me errors(had to use iwctl).
My internet speed is nearly 1/3 of the original speed, on my phone aswell on KDE.(Probably some mis configurations)

This is a known issue that is affecting some Lxqt and Wayfire users.

There have been a half dozen or so reports of this over the last month or so. The devs are now considering replacing connman with Network Manager. If you had searched the forum you would likely have found this as one of the main suggestions to correct this issue. The other option worth testing is to downgrade connman.

2 Likes

It was meant for c00ter, i used a work around which meant i dont have an issue, it isn't that big of an issue anyways. So i didn't search. I posted this to inform him about the issue and work around.

1 Like

Could you please test downgrading connman to see if that will fix the issue. None of the affected users have bothered to try this as a fix.

2 Likes

I’m sorry. I’ve been absent due to spousal demands. Nor have I installed LxQt to my elder laptop yet.

Mostly we’ve (her Majesty and I) have been trying to dodge the extreme heat dome that is giving us 95-105+ deg. F. for several days and may not lift 'til Saturday night. That is twice, so far, for this summer. I was used to that back in western Kansas where everything is air conditioned, but nobody up here in the Pacific NW (or Alaska) has air conditioning, so we’ve all been suffering with just box fans, if we’re lucky.

Summer time here is not normally anywhere near this hot, not in this way. Scary, huh?

Plus, I’ve been trying to finish fleshing out Plasma on my desktop and it’s down to just the window dressing. (I think I’ll re-install the Cyberpunk 2077 theming I had a couple years back. It uses some of the same theming elements Garuda does. My old screenshot & info is gone from the old (not older or oldest) Manjaro Forum, so I’m needing to recreate it. I love the burbling car exhaust pipes for my desktop wallpaper, LOL! ) :wink:

More in a day or so. But hey, concerning that vicious brat CONNMAN…I hate it. Doesn’t matter what distro, what desktop, display manager, whatever…I HATE IT. It seems to hide from me, dodge in and out, void my network login info…it hates me and I hate it. Connman may be better than it was 5-6 years ago but I would rather deal with flaky networkmanager/NetworkManager. Any day.

Sorry for running off at the mouth. It’s been a helluva day.
:wink:

regards

2 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Troubleshooting ConnMan Passphrase Issue

I would like to apologize, i would try my best to give you updates, but can't promise anything. Just got back from the hospital. Fell from my bike.

1 Like

Wholly shit! Was it 'cause the training wheels are off?
:wink:

Wait a minute. How old are you? I don't want to be corresponding with some pre-teen. That would not feel kosher to me. Unless you were my kid. Not in this day and age...:question:

Hope you're feeling better.

2 Likes

I didn't mean the bicycles, I meant motorbikes.

I am 17 btw

2 wheelers are allowed from 16. So I am just starting to learn how to drive this thing, nice start

2 Likes

You mean a motorcycle? Ya gotta learn to lay them down in anticipation of an accident. Helps prevent broken bones and road rash.

I can explain how to do that, too. It was an expensive lesson for me. sniffle

2 Likes

Did the same at 14. Ended up in the hospital, too. Hit a fat beagle at 10 MPH. Flew over the handlebars. Beagle was unscratched. Learned to lay 'em down, it taught me. Saved my life later on. Also: Kick in the door of any cage driver that encroaches into your lane. Gotta drive defensively. :wink:

When you’re old enough to go skydiving, I can give you a few tips there, too. :wink:

2 Likes

Yep that was the 1st thing i learned not a broken bone in 50yrs on bikes. but i layed down a few in that time but not not the CBX1000

4 Likes

Go for lqxt, Its very light compared to KDE and xfce. Connman bug also fixed, definetely worth a try.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.