Deletion of Timeshift snapshots caused havoc

You must be joking, or trolling.
You had a total disaster and you mention nothing.

3 Likes

Apologies, I was convinced that it was fixed. The system was running fine a few hours after the fix.

The problem occurred right after the mentioned deletion.

What if I deleted all my snapshots. Is that a problem?

Don't tell me that I boot into my (latest?) snapshot when selecting the "Garuda" option in Grub. Because there are no snapshots, I deleted them all.

What do your fstab entries say?

All my partitions do show up in a partition manager within a live USB. I can get you the log if you need it.

Strangely, garuda-chroot -a, when ran from live USB, doesn't detect any Linux distribution in my system.

Thank you for the time, and effort. Waiting for that link to reinstall.

Moreover, I wouldn't say noone has had these problems before. Something similar happened in 2643; however, unlike him, my Linux install is deleted or cannot be found. I really don't understand what happened here, would be nice to get closure; don't like unresolved mysteries.

This one works :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am preparing the USB now, thank you.

Moreover, I think that I will keep playing around, and see if I can fix this without reinstall. #opportunitytolearn

Any ideas on how to update-grub without booting into Linux?

instead of expecting others to spoon feed you use the wiki its all their, come on others do not get paid to give you help, you own the mess you have got yourself into
I'm not picking on you just trying to help you to think for yourself and take responsibility for your actions.

4 Likes

Thanks for the criticism.

1 Like

Its not criticism if it was it would be classed as constructive criticism,
Before you made any changes you should of researched what you wanted to do. you should of also done a full-backup, you did neither that is not criticism that is pure logic.

2 Likes

My plan was to (1) delete the snapshots -> (2) Make a new backup -> (3) go on with my day. The system crashed right after (1). Will do 2 -> 1 -> 3 next time.

I had arrived at this conclusion without any input from you. Also, it is quite non-constructive to be told to read a catalogue when stuck with a complex problem. I am already familiar with this catalog, and I use it on a daily basis.

You only get my thanks for taking your time to share your ideas.

1 Like

Yes, you are the only person exempt from this unnatural pursuit. No one else has ever had to read anything to solve a..."complex problem."

2 Likes

If you were stuck on a math problem would you be OK with me telling you to read a book? Or would you just prefer if the opposite person said "I can't help you" or stay out of it? Just food for thought.

Yep. It's fun learning to solve my own problems based on my own research.

(Imagine that.)

2 Likes

At least I have the patience to talk to strangers, and don't use rude sarcasm to get my point across.

I'll leave it at saying that there are many ways to arrive at a destination. Homo Sapiens is a social species, we are biologically programmed to work within groups/tribes. Up to you if you want to solve everything by yourself.

You asked for help then when told the truth about your actions, you then try to act as the victim come on if you had backed up 1st and done your research you would not be in the position you ended up in.

1 Like

Just to prove a point I just removed all but the latest Garuda snapshot from my system rebooted all went fine everything is running fine.
This leads me to believe you have done something else on the system

4 Likes

I had a install that went perfectly. Did all my updates, installed my 3rd party apps, rebooted, tweaker Plasma and the OS, setup Timeshift, ran for a couple of weeks with out any issues. Then one day I went to remove the snapshots, create a fresh snapshot, rebooted and was missing Grub. This happened more than once. I personally think the Timeshift devs broke something. I suggested to someone else that this happened to to fill out a issue report on Timeshift's Github page.

1 Like

I think this thread has gone a little off the rails. I would ask everyone to cool it here and stick to the issue at hand that the OP wishes addressed.

I am also of the, point a user in the right direction and let them try to figure things out themselves persuasion. However, I also think that we should be careful not to dogpile severely on users if they aren't doing things the way we prefer.

I've sat this one out because I'm not particularly fond of spending time treating self inflicted injuries. On the bright side this user has learned a lot of important things on the forum in the last couple of days. They are progressing in the right direction so let's cut them some slack please.

1 Like