Cannot install Garuda after booting windows from safe mode

Hello,

I am sorry if i break some rules of this forum, but this is my first post…
I had a dual boot setup with windows 10 and linux garuda. Something was broken with my windows so i went into safe mode and restarted comupter which fixed my windows, but garuda boot manager dissapeared and there are only two options in bios (windows and uefi). Before the incident, i couldnt install windows 11 because of tpm option but after the incident i can install it and i noticed that it is enabled in bios (I guess that it automatically enables it in safe mode).
But now when i try to install garuda from usb, i have to disable secure boot and i get the boot loader menu, but when i choose boot from open source or propriatery drivers I get black screen and nothing happens.
I guess that something blocks it from booting. I can see that the partition where i had linux is still there but there is nothing on there…
I hope someone will know how to help me and again I am sorry that i couldnt describe the problem in more detail…

I think , you will have to turn off safe mode back :eyes:

And welcome to community!! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There was a Windows update this past week that broke dual boot, don’t know how to help with that since I don’t have a dual boot but you can probably search the web and find something.

4 Likes

Thank you.
I am pretty sure that Windows goes out of safe mode when you restart it, I read it online somewhere.

for this thing I could have suggested chroot but unforutnately

so in that black screen I would ask you to try to go to some tty if possible by shortcut keys like
ctrl+alt+f1 to ctrl+alt+f12

because I have noticed that sometimes the login screen is opened up in any other tty and we are on different tty, even if you don’t get the login screen but you are able to get into tty terminal , from there you might be able to start the GUI and do chroot or re-installation

1 Like

Sorry for late response…
I tried all of those button combination, but nothing, the usb flash also stops flashing like he has done everything…
I think I am firstly going to change to windows 11 and then look at my options, so ai am going to close this thread for now and ask if ai have some questions later…
Thank You all!

I saw that too, there was a post in the news thread about it.

4 Likes

i have read this article, but this cannot help me, because I am only able to boot into Windows 11 now when i updated from 10 to 11.
So I only have options for Windows boot manager or uefi settings, the Garuda boot loader dissapeared and Garuda got deleted from my partition…
So now i wanted to install it again from my usb, but when I choose boot from opesn source or propriatery drivers, I get black screen, nothing happens and usb stops flashing, as something blocks everything from booting…
I do not know what to do, I think I am going to try just for test to make manjaro bootable usb and try if it will work with this, but I do not think it will work, becuase why does my Garuda bootable usb not work as it worked before…

have you tried turning off fastboot in your UEFI? And make sure all devices are loading at initial boot? You can also change boot priority in your UEFI and try putting the USB above the windows boot manager. Now of course you should expect things to break between windows and Linux because windows loves to destroy Grub2 whenever it gets a chance. You do have the option to instead just wipe everything including windows, then install Garuda, then create a windows 11 VM using QEMU KVM to run certain applications that dont play nice with WINE under Linux.

3 Likes

I have marked the solution for you. This is precisely why Garuda does not support Dual boot with a Windows installation. Only advanced users that can sort their own boot issues should use Garuda in a dual boot configuration.

This is a well known side effect of installing Windows alongside Linux. Perhaps you should not be dual booting if you are unable to correct these types of boot issues, as Windows breaks Linux’s boot mechanism with regularity.

If you insist on shooting yourself in the foot on a regular basis, you better get proficient at treating wounds.

4 Likes

Thank you all.
I am not sure how to check if all my devices are booting, but I have tried disabling fast boot and nothing.
I know I do not have a lot of experience, but I prefectly had dual boot on my laptop for 3+ years and I normally updated both Windows and Garuda untill last week. (I did not use Garuda so much, I only had it for collage, so I am a noob for details).
It probably has to do something with some option in bios, but firstly it is hard for me to explain like this and secondly You have tried to suggest all possible options, but it is hard to say what exactly is the problem when You do not see it.
Anyhow, I again thank everyone for their help :slight_smile:

Maybe you could try the ISO with LTS kernel:

and, if it boots, reinstall the GRUB from there.

3 Likes

Hello,

after a few days of research I have finally managed to solve everything.
Basically, I found this video that has my laptop and it show every setting how it has to be to be able to dual boot linux with windows…
(4) Nitro 5 with dual boot Windows and Linux, RST off and USB flash drive boot configuration (preview). - YouTube

I put every setting as it is and normally dual booted from usb (went to f12 to boot menu and choose the usb, after it installed I simply restarted, and while it was restarting I unplugged the usb and pressed f12 to open the boot menu and choose linux and it worked.)

Thanks again for all of your help…

I was just wondering, now my linux wont work if i dont disable secure boot, is it ok to keep it disabled?

You would want to keep that disabled. (most Linux distros don’t support secure boot in an easy to implement way)

2 Likes

The thing is that, for a long I have run linux (garuda included ) without turning off secure boot in my old laptop, and was working well :eyes:

But it was for my older laptop , with my new laptop i have to disable it. So, for older machines I can say the behaviour is unpredictable :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks for the answers.
And keeping it disabled is not a problem, it is not some crucial security option?

The security option is that M$ wants to prevent anything other than M$ from being installed on every PC in the world :smiley:

3 Likes

I undestand…
I will just leave it disabled, thanks.:grinning:

Issues like this is why I have them on entirely separate drives with separate boot partitions.

I almost never use windows anymore anyway on my personal machine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.