Can you reinstall without losing everything?

Hi
Had Garuda dgragonized on for a while now and no issues at all. When i opened up just now though the whole desktop has changed - No Dock, all widgets changed, KDE Wallet keeps asking to create a new wallet even though i dont believe i ever set one up previously.

My question is - can i use the original Garuda set up on the welcome screen to reinstall without losing all the software etc that i have added ?

Thanks

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is an area which we call the....the Reinstall Zone! :joy:

Kidding aside, there is no real way to reinstall your system and keep your software, unless you are doing a Snapper or Timeshift snapshot reinstall. Your issues though started from the beginning, so that wouldn't be a benefit.

The closest thing you could do is use rsync (grsync for GUI) to backup your home folder with your software config files, /local/share/, etc. You would still have to reinstall all your software on your new build, but you can copy over the software's config folders and files and the software would be as you had it before. For example, I do this with Thunderbird, Brave/Firefox, and others because it is to tedious to set those up again.

2 Likes

Those issues seem quite common.
Why don't you take the chance to learn something new and try solving them.
For all of them you'll find solutions in the forum. Another good chance to sharpen your searching skills :wink:

5 Likes

Thanks Rodney, that's what i thought.... looks like i have a long night ahead of me. i will look at your suggestion about rsync, I am not so up on Linux but i don't mind trying :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Filo
i dont mind trying to fix problems, not the first time i have had do that since starting to use Linux :wink: My concern is that somehow something has been corrupted and for that its likely that a fresh install may be the best option.

But i will run some searches to see if i can get to the bottom of the two main problems - Wifi/bluetooth now disconnecting all the time and the KDE issue. The dock and others i can have a go again

1 Like

Just ask if you need hints on specific points, of course. But at least for the wifi/bluetooth thing your inxi -Faz would be need in that case.

Configs are stored in /etc/skel

OR

You can click on that nice "Restore Defaults" button in Garuda Assistant.

2 Likes

For the KDE wallet password, best thing here

Or in the worst case the tip to workarouund the problem here
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/KDE_Wallet#Unlock_KDE_Wallet_automatically_on_login

1 Like

Configs are stored in /etc/skel

OR

You can click on that nice "Restore Defaults" button in Garuda Assistant.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.