Hey all! As you may have seen, I've come on to help maintain the GNOME edition of Garuda. To direct me going forward, I'd like to get a little feedback from our users here! I'll be asking some specific questions, but other feedback, input, or ideas is also welcome!
I do have some plans of my own, but those are limited to my own use-case right now. With the tumult of GNOME 42's release, I'm hoping to give the edition a bit of a refresh, and would love to work with everyone here.
- Do you have any gripes/issues with the current edition?
- What would you like to see implemented out of the box in the future?
- Are there any more minor quality-of-life changes you think would smooth the experience?
- For those that have dealt with GNOME-specific issues related to proprietary graphics drivers, what have you learned, and what would improve things for you?
- In terms of the wiki page or other documentation, is there anything you wish had been easily accessible, or anything you think new users would need to know?
- If I have any theme/extension/GTK developers here, what are your feelings/feedback on GNOME 42 in general?
Answers to those questions and anything else you might think of is much appreciated. I'm happy to consider anything put forth, but I must note that there are some restrictions on what can/will be included. These are mostly imposed by the fact that I will be doing my best to make sure the GNOME edition won't break every time someone breathes on the GNOME main.
- I will not be packaging extensions out of the box. If you've survived multiple major version upgrades with GNOME, you'll know why - every six months, the project throws a new wrench at the work of extension developers. Many release extremely swift updates, but some lag behind or are entirely abandoned each time.
- Some level of theming may be on the horizon, however: 1) They do pose many of the same issues as extensions, and 2) Even if they are considered, they will probably need to wait until the dust settles a little more around the LibAdwaita changes.
- Changes made need to be possible within the scope of
garuda-gnome-settings. I'm happy to make more significant changes to this package or get a bit fancier with it as time goes on, but it will all need to occur centralized here for GNOME.
- Offer GNOME Wayland out of the box. Xorg may remain the default, however.
- Provide slightly more visual consistency. Namely, allow Qt apps to use GNOME's native titlebars.
- Consider implementing some optional tweaks. This would likely be very basic, maybe in the form of an interactive script. Ideas welcome.
- Other minor tweaks/fixes/etc. (@librewish fixed the logo thing for y'all last night!)
I'll be very interactive here, and (civil) discussion of things put forth is cool as well! I'm hoping to create a good reference for myself with this thread, and contribution to that is contribution to the GNOME edition. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and respond, I look forward to growing with you all.