After a few days of effort, I have produced a test Garuda Xfce-kwin iso
The aim of the edition is to replicate the Garuda Dr460nized experience, but with the stability and lightness of the Xfce desktop
With kwin as the window manager, all of the desktop effects and theming of Garuda Dr460nized work perfectly! That's right, Wobbly Windows works in Xfce!
Instead of using Latte-dock, I used plank dock, which looks very similar and seems very stable.
Things that would need to be done for this edition to be made official:
One package would need to be added to the Chaotic-AUR from the AUR: xfce4-windowck-plugin
I would also need to create custom packages that include all the settings for the edition to be added to the Chaotic-AUR. Currently, I have placed all my modifications into desktop-overlay folder in the iso-profile, which I know is not the most optimal method, per se.
Things that still need to be fixed or tweaked
With feedback I can add more to this section, currently I am aware of these issues:
- Default apps for Xfce need to be set to KDE apps
- Whisker Menu could use some tweaking
- System Tray icons need to be properly themed to match the rest of the Dr460nized theme, or to at least match KDE icons
- Window buttons on panel are probably a little too large, I will probably reduce them from 18px to 16px
- Package list needs to be stripped down to only what is needed
- If possible, I would like to completely strip out the KDE desktop. If it can't be entirely stripped out, then I would remove the entry from xsessions so it doesn't show up in SDDM
Things that could be developed for feature parity with Dr460nized:
- Make Xfce top panel opaque when window touches it. Currently Xfce panel transparency options are limited, so this would require some development
- Blur background when windows are open. This certainly is just a nice to have feature
Please test the iso out, give feedback, and suggest fixes !
Xfce-kwin iso-profile: community/xfce-kwin · master · Michael Monaco / iso-profiles · GitLab