Why is the ubuntu based partitioning followed?

IMHO, the real problem is the bad (no simplified version) documentation. It makes it more difficult than it actually is.

Because I’m an RTFM type, I just don’t use it, until I do. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Even I tried this, at the very first after a clean install, but autosnap enabled it again. I couldn’t find out how to disable it permanantly. I remember a message on update saying “Warning: Quota is not enabled”, “Enabling Qgroups” or something similar, don’t remember accurately.

Also, I have enabled SKIP_AUTOSNAP in /etc/timeshift-autosnap.conf, I think this improved a little in performance, but can’t say exactly, since I’m not sure about my hard drive.

Cgroups. Don’t ask me what they are but my BIOS has 'em (optional) and there are cgroup-related packages in the repos. Sum total of my knowledge of cgroups.

Oops! And Red Hat uses 'em, from my experience. :wink:

1 Like

I have it disabled. :wink:

BTRFS quota is automatically re-enabled if I disable it manually?

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=337637

btrfs-transcation at 100% CPU causes processes to hang for several minutes

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1937764&sid=c316c0963184b08716969091403debc1#p1937764

How does enabling btrfs quotas impact the system?

Check if btrfs quota is enabled, and find how much space a btrfs snapshot is taking up:

sudo btrfs qgroup show /

You recieve this if not enabled:

ERROR: can't list qgroups: quotas not enabled

First disable btrfs quotas:

sudo btrfs quota disable /

In the "Users" tab of the Timeshift "Settings" menu, disable "Enable BTRFS qgroups (recommended)". You can also do this directly from Timeshift's config file.

Timeshift's configuration file has an option btrfs_use_qgroup that can be changed to prevent quotas from being automatically re-enabled by Timeshift.

Open /etc/timeshift/timeshift.json with a text editor:

Search for the following setting:

"btrfs_use_qgroup" : "true",

Change : "true", to : "false",

/etc/timeshift/timeshift.json contents:

{
  "backup_device_uuid" : "6cf7ad76-31ae-437b-8e11-ed4046bfe754",
  "parent_device_uuid" : "",
  "do_first_run" : "false",
  "btrfs_mode" : "true",
  "include_btrfs_home_for_backup" : "false",
  "include_btrfs_home_for_restore" : "false",
  "stop_cron_emails" : "true",
  "btrfs_use_qgroup" : "false",
  "schedule_monthly" : "false",
  "schedule_weekly" : "false",
  "schedule_daily" : "false",
  "schedule_hourly" : "false",
  "schedule_boot" : "false",
  "count_monthly" : "2",
  "count_weekly" : "4",
  "count_daily" : "5",
  "count_hourly" : "5",
  "count_boot" : "5",
  "snapshot_size" : "0",
  "snapshot_count" : "0",
  "date_format" : "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S",
  "exclude" : [],
  "exclude-apps" : []
}

Search and yee will find. :male_detective:

2 Likes

Well, hell, I guess they are qgroups...why am I confusing the two? I'm old. I should know better. Thanks loads, people. :wink:

Note To use qgroup you need to enable quota first using btrfs quota enable command.

Copy from man pages

2 Likes

Thanks for detailed guide :slight_smile:
Yes, the error message was exact. I did not search for it but instead stopped using Timeshift-autosnap. As this forum teaches I'm turning out to use & learn terminal commands (here, btrfs command instead of Timeshift). I will follow this guide next time I use Timeshift :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think the @ convention is some btrfs thing because calmares automatically used the @ convention when the fileSystem was selected as btrfs

Calamares is scripted/configured by the Garuda devs. It sets up the subvolumes with @s with the expectation of using Timeshift, which it also installs. If some other snapshot solution is chosen, Calamares might be set up to install, for instance, a subvolume called "GL_ROOT" (Garuda Linux) or "CIM_MAIN" (Catra Is Marvelous) or anything really.

the @ convention made sure the subvolumes were noticably different to stave off confusion, which it did. It also kind of made it look like a special symbol, since we use @ to signify meaning change in a lot of other circumstances. That's an illusion.

HTH :relaxed:

2 Likes

No actually what was I said was based of an unmodified calamares

It isn’t. You won’t see it in any of the btrfs documentation. However, it has been adopted by ubuntu and opensuse and many other smaller distros.

EDIT: I have read in multiple places that it has also been adopted by debian but I couldn’t find any official documentation stating that. Also, in all my recent debian installs on btrfs, the installer hasn’t created any subvolumes so I am not sure in what way debian adopted it, if they really did.

5 Likes

If you’re hip enough, you can get Calamares to sit up & beg. There are a number of Calamares Arch-based installers out there, and it–meaning a vanilla Calamares–is highly configurable. And, assuming you have a 'net connection during install, it can be made to pull in just about any configuration, including file systems such as BTRFS.

I mean, if you want it to bark at boot, you can make it so.
:wink:

2 Likes

But i used a non configured version of calmares on my testing os without a internet connection. Sorry i am unable to get the gist of your message.

Just Google it, fer chrissake. Wait…I’ll do it for you: https://www.google.com/search?q=arch+linux+calamares+installer&sxsrf=ALeKk03eqTC1phiHhn1YooK8jQ03wGXv-Q%3A1627830007621&ei=97YGYY6oJYLx-wTCjISQBA&oq=arch+linux+calamares+installer&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQgAEIAEOgcIABBHELADOgcIABCwAxBDOgYIABAWEB46BQghEKABOgUIIRCrAjoECAAQDUoECEEYAFCmhAlYnbkJYPjMCWgEcAJ4AIABjAGIAb4HkgEEMTEuMpgBAKABAcgBCsABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwjO_-6qi5DyAhWC-J4KHUIGAUIQ4dUDCA8&uact=5

2 Likes

Still unable to understand I do realize it customizable, I cloned calmares put it in .y own livecd of my own os and installed and it used the @ convention without defining a customPartitionLayout

Some folks like spicy, some prefer bland.
:wink:

2 Likes

Then Calamares defaults to that. This isn't the proof for btrfs you think it is.

1 Like

Just because you changed the tyres on your car doesn’t mean you built a car.

So “your own OS” is really just the assembly of existing parts that Arch and the AUR make available to you.

Couldn’t you better say you have designed a DE according to your wishes?

Maybe there’s a translation problem, but there was a guy here the other day who completely cloned Garuda Linux and changed the wallpaper and kept claiming that he had made his own distribution.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

3 Likes

Your new forum avatar scares me, @Bro, makes it look like you're a…

…Red Hat user. :wink: :grin:

4 Likes
4 Likes