Why command "ls" shows me aslo hidden files?

Hi !

I've bene using Garuda for a few days.

When i run the "ls" command from the terminal It shows me all the files, even the hidden ones that should be recalled with ls -a.

Why does this happen?

I am from Endeavouros, ubuntu, Debian, ecc... and have never had this problem.

I searched in the settings buy found nothing.

Can you help me?

Ps: I know, sorry my english.

Not at my laptop currently but check your fish config file for any aliases that may have been set by default. Could be one along the lines of "alias ls=ls -a". Just a guess though

4 Likes

It’s a feature not a problem.

4 Likes

Guessed right, there is this alias to display all files.

@Zephyro you can comment out the alias if you don’t want.
Also WELCOME to the forums :smiley:

What flavor are you using (KDE, Gnome…) ?

2 Likes

Personally I like not having to always type the -a or -al as I always want to see everything whether hidden or not haha. So it's a good feature imo but luckily also very easy to change assuming it is just an alias and that's it.

3 Likes

It's an awesome feature, like a lot of others in Garuda.
The good thing is anyone can configure those features whether they see fit. :smiley:

@Zephyro if you don't want this to happen and don't know how to change it, please provide us your garuda-inxi and we will help adjust it for you.

2 Likes
## Useful aliases
# Replace ls with exa
alias ls='exa -al --color=always --group-directories-first --icons' # preferred listing
alias la='exa -a --color=always --group-directories-first --icons'  # all files and dirs
alias ll='exa -l --color=always --group-directories-first --icons'  # long format
alias lt='exa -aT --color=always --group-directories-first --icons' # tree listing
alias l.="exa -a | egrep '^\.'"                                     # show only dotfiles
5 Likes

Garuda is full of awesome shit lmao. Like having partial update detection notifications and even the ability to have hotfixes pushed among all the other cool stuff like the update script, system maintenance and Garuda assistant it really makes this so easy to use. Like I'd argue that Garuda in many ways is the easiest first distribution to use because of all this but I'd probably still go Mint as a newbie haha. Anyway sorry for the OT I just can't help but gush over Garuda whenever I get the chance :joy:

4 Likes

Total agreement to your statements.

@Zephyro plz let us know. :slight_smile:

If this "fixes" your "problem", plz mark the thread as solved by pointing to the solution post.

:smiley:

3 Likes

I have it mark some times ago. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

First I've heard of exa tbh. Ls replacement with colour's? Time to Google what this is haha

Just use la instead of ls :slight_smile:
Or read :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome :smile:

i am using KDE

I try immediatly, thank you !

1 Like

it worked, thank you very much everyone for the replies. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.