Which kernel should I be using?

Which kernel should I be using. My system freezes intermittently. Started using bird of prey today.

Try to post garuda-inxi, please.

The template you are missing because you posted in the wrong area.

Make sure you have done the following before you post:

Issue still unresolved? Then:

• ONE issue per topic.
  • Describe your issue in detail. The more we know, the better we can help
  • Show us the results of your searches, and what you’ve tried
  • After rebooting, post the FULL output of garuda-inxi in the body of the post (not linked externally, or collapsed with the “hide details” feature)
  • Format terminal output (including your garuda-inxi) as a code block by clicking the preformatted text button (</>) , or put three tildes (~) above and below the text
5 Likes

You should be using whichever kernel does not freeze intermittently. :wink:

4 Likes

LOL which one is that :slight_smile:

It’s just a matter of trying.
Changing kernels is extremely easy and quick, so testing should not take you too long (if freezes usually appear right away).

sudo pacman -S linux-lts linux-lts-headers
sudo pacman -S linux linux-headers
sudo pacman -S linux-mainline linux-mainline-headers
sudo pacman -S linux-hardened linux-hardened-headers

You can install a kernel also with Garuda Settings Manager → Kernel (remember to push Refresh button first).
There may be some problems with certain kernels if you have an Nvidia dGPU.
By-the-way, freezes are not necessarily due to the kernel in use.

After that, of course, you will have to select the desired kernel from the Grub in Advanced Options.

3 Likes

We could help you better if you followed the forum rules. Describe your problem exactly - how, when and what causes the system to freeze?
And post your garuda-inxi as requested by the template, please.

3 Likes

Apologies, I will do that when I get a chance. Thank you.

It just freezes randomlly.

And while you’re at it, describe the freezes better, for example whether they only last for a short time or whether a hard reset is necessary, etc. Freeze is not always the same :wink:

1 Like

Try the sanders kernel, too, when you get a chance. :wink:

I have to do a hard reset

From where can I get the sanders kernel, Sorry quite new to Linux

I’m pretty sure he was making a joke in reference to Colonel Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken fast food chain lol.

Is your new install running the Zen kernel? If you run Setup assistant again, and get to the software page, installing other kernels is as easy as clicking a checkbox, then on reboot select Advanced Options for Garuda Linux, and try out other kernels. Good things have been said about CachyOS-bore kernel. Try other kernels and use them for a while, and see how each affects your system different. Choose the one that works the best for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes
  1. Look, we require you post the output of garuda-inxi to receive help.
  2. Do not post in a chat type style. You aren’t in a chat room.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.