I thought it might be fun and enlightening for others to see what others do upon install. I had not used arch until I found Garuda (I dont recall how I found it) but after doing this - I really really liked what I saw and experienced. I came from Debian and Fedora and swore I would never dive into Arch - enter a stubborn laptop that I was determined to get working on linux for my journey and path I am on for needing it. I think the team has a really nice job assembling a gorgeous distro and though I am new I am learning quickly.
So what are the first 7 things you do?
What are the top 5 things you install first?
For me - first 7 -
- update the goods
sudo pacman -Syu
- Add the wallpapers that desire - because we all know we have to look cool to feel cool
- setup/change the default ssh keys - if SSH is not setup I set that up, if it is I change the keys
SSH keys - ArchWiki
- Open terminal and see if I need to tweak to my liking - so far I am using the default that was install and like it a lot but would like to see colors added for ls etc
- Change lockscreen graphic
- Snapshot the OS to ensure I have a rollback in case I bork it...
- check resources to see if everything is operating properly
Top 5 things I install -
- libre office
- lastpass or whatever password manager I choose for this instance
This is not the same as I do on Debian - but thought it would be fun to see what others share and do.