What is "Checking for plugin updates" doing?

I tried garuda-update today and everything looked fine. I didn't know what the "Checking for plugin updates" step is doing. I noticed it uninstalled aspell and download a new version from Github. Why did it download from Github and where did it install aspell?

Checking for plugin updates
Uninstalling aspell
Downloading "aspell" (1.3.0) from "https://github.com/priner/micro-aspell-plugin/archive/v1.3.0.zip"
One or more plugins installed.

IDK :wink:

You need to have Aspell installed and available in your PATH. It does not come with this plugin.

micro-aspell-plugin = spellchecker for micro
is not in repositories or chaotic so it use the git version.

I think it comes from here:

when it executes
sudo -u "#$SUDO_UID" micro -plugin update
See also e.g.
https://micro-editor.github.io/plugins.html

The beauty of open source is that it unleashes your curiosity :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Interesting. I don't use the micro terminal. I didn't know Garuda installed it by default. Maybe I'll give it a try.

micro (like nano or vim) is a text editor you can use in a terminal/konsole.

2 Likes

I use mcedit BTW. It’s included in mc and is one of the oldest similar programs. It even has my locale translation!!! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

If it’s that old, assume the learning curve to use it is the same level as Vi :smiley:
For those who rarely use the terminal to edit text files, micro is enough.

My 50 € Cents :wink:

2 Likes

Exactly the opposite!!!
It has several tips and big buttons with names, a menu with every option and a lot of power tools and features. Not that I use it often, but even if I don’t remember how to use it, it is easy like a GUI, using keyboard or mouse with the same ease.
Am I selling ?? :rofl:

Edit: Not enough? It has color themes too!! :rainbow:

6 Likes

Midnight Commander. Very old-school tool.

Kewl! :smiley:

4 Likes

Paging @dr460nf1r3 cause i honestly have the same question and I'm not the one who added it. I just made sure it kept working over the releases without ever questioning what it does lmao

2 Likes

Oh, missed this. Basically it updates the preinstalled micro plugins found in the home directory.

3 Likes

Is there any way we can make this a standard package instead of updating it in this out of tree kinda way?

1 Like

According to the plugins page of micro, just the already used location is available for plugins. If there was a way to ship this "systemized" I would've done it already :thinking:

Well:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.