Weird unreadable font issue on microsoft app/site -s

Hello Garuda users.

I don't think I can describe this problem accurately, so I will include screen-shot of it.

I would really appreciate if someone will decide to help me fix this.

Have you also tried as suggested here?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Microsoft_fonts

I just installed it from pacman

I mean:

Legacy packages

Note: The fonts provided by these packages are out-of-date and are missing modern hinting instructions and the full character sets. It is recommended to use the above packages.

ttf-ms-fontsAUR includes:

2 Likes

i cloned ttf-ms-win11-auto, then got into file and tried to run makepkg -si
this is the output:

makepkg -si
==> Making package: ttf-ms-win11-auto 10.0.22000.318-2 (Thu 30 Jun 2022 05:38:07 PM +04)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Installing missing dependencies...
error: target not found: httpdirfs
==> ERROR: 'pacman' failed to install missing dependencies.
==> Missing dependencies:
-> httpdirfs
==> ERROR: Could not resolve all dependencies.

I guess i need to install httpdirfs, since this is the dependencie that pacman failed to install

Yes, sure.
And try also with paru. You never can say...

Where?

We do not like screenshots from Terminal or full desktop screenshots with popup error with one sentence.

If you use fish

[ ! -x /usr/bin/yay ] && [ -x /usr/bin/paru ] && alias yay='paru'

you use paru.

4 Likes

All good.
Honestly, I only don’t like comparisons, especially when it is about M$ (not really a top prio here) :wink:

1 Like

I've read a lot of threads not necessarily on Garuda forum, where OP got lot of hate, because of screen-shots. Also, thank you for info about paru and fish.

1 Like

Informing users not to post screenshots of terminal outputs is no more hate than telling your child "don't run with scissors".

2 Likes

It is not about just telling them. It is about how you tell them and what words do you use. I am not a snowflake, I can take criticisms and welcome it, since it allows me to improve on certain things, but sometimes seeing how people respond to newbies leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to offend anyone. 99% times linux community was extremely helpful, but there is also 1% gatekeepers and it is not exclusive to linux, they are everywhere and no one should get mad about mentionenig them. Personally, in this community I have never encountered one and my experience was really smooth.

"don't run with scissors" is harmless, but "Don't run with scissors you idiot child" is not.They are saying the same thing, but are formulated differently.

Hopefully I managed to define my view of this, but I sill have some doubts, that someone will get this wrong or take it as offensive, because English is not my native language.

There are basically two ways to get a solution on a forum like this.

• The most obvious way is to announce your problem or question to the forum, and if someone can help with your issue they will try to answer your question or be helpful in other ways.

• The second way is to search through solutions that are already posted to the forum and discover the information you need from what is already there.

Quantity-wise, most answers are found the second way because one solved forum thread can answer the same question for a thousand people (or however many). In this way, it is the more crucial solution to preserve.

The problem with screenshots is you cannot search them with text. Maybe five or ten years from now it will be possible, but as of today it is not. As someone mentioned, there is nothing wrong with sharing a screenshot to help illustrate an issue, but when it is text it is a terrible waste.

If you make a forum post with an unusual error message, but the error is a screenshot instead of text, chances are someone will still emerge with the solution if they know what it is. However, the crucial second method for finding a solution is destroyed, because that image won't come up in a search for the error message. So that solution fixes one computer instead of a thousand.

That is why people get so frustrated with the screenshots. It seems like a minor detail, but it's not--it really matters. It really is important. It can profoundly impact how useful a technical forum is able to be.

I think we all have seen hostility in various forums at one time or another, and to be clear I am not trying to say that kind of behavior is warranted or justified. Still, I can empathize with the frustration that must be felt when someone is spending their time and effort trying to make their forum a good and useful resource, and people are messing it up by taking a lazy shortcut.

5 Likes

Since, I don’t want this thread to become some kind of discussion which is not related to the main issue I had, this will be the last reply from me.

About screen-shots I just thought, that they were not welcome from the threads I’ve seen, but now I understand your views about it.

Trust me I am spending most of my limited time with computer to find related problems to mine, but most of the time guides are out dated.

For example: https://archived.forum.manjaro.org/t/networkmanger-inactive-after-resuming-from-suspend/24831

While this thread is about same problem I had, it is from 2017 and something about elongd is mentioned which I have no idea what it is at the moment. My fear for outdated guides is that by following them I may break something(because since I am new I don’t really understand to full extent what am I doing).

I am 20yo so I don’t have years and years of experience of this stuff. I am musician, student and do extra work for living, so I have very limited amount of time to spend with this. I only get to do this stuff for 2-3hours before sleep while my brain is literally out. So when I ask something I am not being lazy, looking for shortcuts. I just cannot solve it on my own and trying to politely ask question on thread hoping someone will help so this problem won’t last for more than a month for me.

Last thing I want is to be identified as a help vampire who doesn’t care to google and solve problem on his own and expects to be hand held every time, but at this point I fear my reputation on this forum is tainted already.

My goal is to try to learn this stuff so I can help others on this forum and have fun with it while being useful. As for now I am analyzing tbg’s thread about trouble shooting:Troubleshooting System Stutter, Lags, Freezes, and Hangs

so I can gain more knowledge with this stuff and help myself and others.

I would prefer to not to talk about this, but I don’t want anyone to look at me as a help vampire or the guy who messes up forums. Hope you understand and good luck <3.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.