Wanted to Know All customization location

Hi guys. How are you all. I am here to ask where all the customization files are stored. Al though i know that i can install by system settings or ocs-url. During today research i figure out some of them. But i am not actually sure. So i request all of you who familiar with manual customization please give me the suggestion so that i have some idea. Here i provided two location for each customization part. First one is home/user/ directory and Second one is Root/usr/ directory. I would be happy if you guys share both the directory for each section. Correct me if i am wrong. Thanks all.

Global Theme

--> /home/user/.local/share/plasma/look-and-feel/
--> /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/

Application Style

-->
-->

Plasma Style

--> /home/user/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/
--> /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/

Color Schemes or Colors

--> /home/user/.local/share/color-schemes/
--> /usr/share/color-schemes/

Window Decorations

-->
-->

Fonts

--> /usr/share/fonts/

Icons

--> /home/user/.local/share/icons/
--> /usr/share/icons/

Cursors

-->
-->

Splash Screen (settings)

-->
-->

Splash Screen (Under Garuda Boot Option)

-->
-->

SDDM themes or Lockscreen Themes

--> Lockscreen change system wide so it does not have local directory.
--> /usr/share/sddm/themes/

plasmoid or plasma widgets

--> /home/user/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/
--> /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/

Also how can i change konsole or alacritty syntax theme.

I think all of those settings locations are pretty well documented elsewhere(freedesktop/plasma/sddm/konsole documentation). The majority of them can be found here

The one important warning I would give you is not to modify the files under /usr/share. In addition to being bad practice, any changes you make there will be overwritten.

2 Likes

Thanks for Sharing your thoughts. I know about the risk to modify under /usr/share. Actually i did not modify anything over there. I ask here just for understanding. By the way i will let you know which portion i found form you shared link. thanks

/usr/share/themes

Cursors are also under
/usr/share/icons/

Plymouth?
/usr/share/plymouth/themes

Grub themes?
/boot/grub/themes # themes
/etc/default/grub # configuration file

Certainly yes. But you can install any themes/icon packs/plymouth/grub/cursors etc by simply extracting files to relevant folders.
You can simply download files from git or pling and simply copy and paste these files to install theme. Then, reboot and change the themes from KDE settings.

4 Likes

While this is technically true, it isn’t good practice and more importantly can break future updates. Consider the case you have installed some icons/cursors/theme/whatever into /usr/share manually and then a package gets updated which pulls files into those same locations as a dependency. Now your update is broken because your self-installed files are in the way of package and pacman doesn’t like this. I have seen this happen in practice where someone installed an icon set manually and then theming changed and there was conflict.

Generally speaking, there is not usually a good reason to do this because all those locations have additional locations that are intended to be modified/controlled by the user. Even in a multi-user system it isn’t that a big of a deal to copy the files into multiple users.

If you really, really want to have your files installed into /usr/share you should make PKGBUILD and let pacman install them there.

3 Likes

I have not encountered such situation, tbh.

But I guess

sudo pacman -Syu --overwrite=*

Should be able to solve such conflict. Or atmost change the folder name.

But I don’t know, I have been installing themes this way for at least 4 years, and didn’t come across a single problem yet, probably because the themes I use are rarely official/dependency of other package. I agree that it might not be the best way to install themes.

Would be glad to know more, if anything.

1 Like

Except that using that is also bad practice. :wink:

It also isn’t something who is unfamiliar with package management should be using. You can seriously break your system that way. That is one of the reasons --force was removed from pacman.

From my perspective, why do it like that when there is an easy alternative that achieves the same goal.

You mean, you haven’t yet.

3 Likes

Because

1. I didn’t knew that it is a bad practice.
  2. I haven’t come across any problem yet.
  3. I am too lazy to bother

:sweat_smile:

Yeah, I edited my post.

1 Like

Past experience agrees with @dalto. Which is why I’ve since avoided that practice. It tends to get messy at a certain pont.

3 Likes

Here splash screen is that portion bootanimation which is loaded after logins. And i found garuda splash screen is under playmouth folder. Which can be change by garuda boot option software

if i avoid to modify the system then should i user .themes and .icons folder in the home directory like ubuntu or other debian distribution?

By the way guys, you did not talk about how do i change syntex theme on fish shell or alacritty. I search this topic on internet i show that zsh has syntex highlighter plugins. So my question is it possible to change syntex theme rather that konsole or alacritty background or colors scheme

Yes. The possible locations are laid out in the link I posted above. For example:

Icons and themes are looked for in a set of directories. By default, apps should look in $HOME/.icons (for backwards compatibility), in $XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons and in /usr/share/pixmaps (in that order).

In this case, ~/.icons is probably your best choice since it doesn’t require special permissions to write there and it has the highest precedence. However, you could also use /usr/local/share/icons according to the specification.

3 Likes

Ok got it. thanks by the way, what about syntax theme in konsole or alacritty. Not the color scheme i think that mean background right? Is it possible to change syntax theme.

The color scheme impacts more than the background. It also controls all the default colors in the terminal including the various highlight colors.

I would try changing the terminal color scheme before you try messing with anything else.

2 Likes

Ok that would be appreciated. But be careful.

And also how to change this style on fish shell. Is this style available in (~/.config/fish/config.fish) file?

./.config/starship.toml
2 Likes

I change something but it only applied in konsole what about alacritty? It is gray color?

5 Likes

Thanks for the link