Using wireplumber instead of pipewire-media-session

Hi,

I have been testing wireplumber instead of pipewire-media-session for a few days, and so far all OK.

Is anyone else testing/using it? Maybe become a default replacement for pipewire-media-session ?

Thanks!

1 Like

On it since some weeks, working okay so far. There are occasional issues with changing output device but I'm really not sure if that is to be accounted to PipeWire or Wireplumber :eyes:
Since Fedora is also looking at replacing the media session with Wireplumber, I think we can go for this as well in the future :slight_smile:

5 Likes

What does this provide that the default pipewire-media-session does not? That is, what are the advantages to this?

Details here are pretty vague:

It’s apparently “less limited” than the default… ?

1 Like

well, I am not an expert on this, hence my asking for feedback if anyone was using:

but like @dr460nf1r3 said, fedora is making the switch with these "supposed advantages": Changes/WirePlumber - Fedora Project Wiki

2 Likes

Well we install wireplumber by default anyway

What else needs to change

1 Like

I like this first one:

So… the benefit of the change is that it’s the same? :joy:

(Yes, the above is only the first item taken out of context for comedic effect :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

3 Likes

If it’s not already done, the equivalent of:

systemctl --user --now disable pipewire-media-session
systemctl --user --now enable wireplumber

(Perhaps wireplumber also needs to provides=(pipewire-media-session) so it can be removed…)

3 Likes

Well then that's on arch

2 Likes

Which bit? If wireplumber is installed by default on Garuda but not enabled then it's not actually doing anything?

2 Likes

The provides and replaces stuff needs to be done by arch

As for wireplumber i think it provides wpctl

3 Likes

See we don't install pipewire media session its a dependancy of something

3 Likes
5 Likes

hum.... actually this is taking an unexpected turn for me:

I was expecting an answer like @dr460nf1r3 .... not a "lets do it!!!" :slight_smile:

Really, I was just trying to get the conversation and considerations started. Like I mentioned above, I am not an expert on this pipewire newage thing :slight_smile: and I only tested it a few days.

But thanks everyone for your open mindness and quick feedback !

2 Likes

That's how things here work at times :sweat_smile: not being backed by companies has advantages, for sure :smiley:

5 Likes

If it’s better then get it done. :wink:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.