Unused ram is waisted ram?

hi so i reread the requirements page and i saw stuff about unused ram is waisted ram. but if i have 8 gb and 7.9 is being used wont my system get slower?

1 Like

Well RAM usage is a bit higher than other distros due to some daemons used which prevent a complete lockup when RAM is high, read more about it here:
Wasted meaning "why not use the RAM available if there is free space and a positive effect?". As there are lots of people only looking at RAM usage and drawing conclusions based on the number not knowing about these things used.
Btw, am using this with 8GB RAM. System is totally fine. If you run low just do some adjustments to systemd-swap and the problem is gone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

only if it takes more than 8gb ram out of 8gb there will be a performance difference. you can fill your ram but if you go an mb more it can slow down. so unless you absolutely need like 100mb extra its not worth disabling performance tweaks. in my system enabling and disabling performance tweaks. only 100mb was used extra. so if you need that 100mb you can remove that by turning off nohang and the other services using stacer temporarily.

2 Likes

Imo its better to just allocate some swap space than turning off these services if you are running an SSD. (create a swapfile manually / swap partition / change systemd-swap config swapfc which automatically allocates a swapfile based on RAM usage)

3 Likes

you could do that i had no idea. now i know

2 Likes

Personally, I would not apply the above modification if you’re using an old slow spinner drive. With an SSD or nmve you’ll be fine you’ll be fine.

1 Like

You are right, edited my post :grin:

1 Like

See also:

https://www.linuxatemyram.com

7 Likes

I have ssds and m2 nvme. 32 G RAM and 16G x 2 swaps (un both nvme) and enabled the tweaks and preload. I mount as tmpfs /tmp and some caches of FS and dedicated ones in a stripe-tmps partition for video editing or batch processing. And believe me, for sure It helps a lot (tunning the min-max paramethers).

Adding in fstab commit=# (15 - 60 seconds) improve ext4 i/o too. Journaling must be enabled if you do that.

If you use lvm or zfs and some HDD you can cache data or metadata in RAM and SSD partition too.

Also, if you use to surf web while working, zram + tmpfs in /www/cache is a good idea. Firefox can devore RAM (cause you have opened 10 tabs more in another workspace :roll_eyes:)

(Unused m2 os waisted too ,:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

2 Likes

We run psd by default also which runs browser profiles in RAM.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/profile-sync-daemon

2 Likes