Understanding Garuda audio settings

I'm new to Garuda (and Arch Linux for that matter) and I'm really exited by this OS. It's been a smooth experience so far but I've been having problems setting my music production environment as I used to have (previously in AV Linux).

I'm trying to get JACK applications (SuperCollider in particular) running and communicating through Cadence. I've been experimenting with enabling/disabling the "JACK support" setting in "Garuda Assistant" -> "System Components". SuperCollider will not boot without it, but anyway no audio will come out of it. Cadence doesn´t display the main system sink/source, so I can´t connect the audio. I would love to just make everything work with Pipewire as it seems an interesting project, but I'm guessing I'll have to disable it and just go with Pulse Audio + JACK. By the way, what does the "ALSA support" setting installs? For what I know ALSA is the main audio server in Linux and is not sustituted for Pipewire. Or does it?

I haven't been able to find documentation on the audio "support "packages associated with the settings in Garudas "System Components". I would like to understand audio in Garuda Linux and how does this settings work. Where should I look and what do you recommend to set this up!

Thanks for you attention!

Hi there, welcome!
These aspects are almost completely unknown to me, but if you are new to Arch, please consider the Arch wiki your first and probably main reference. Eg

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture

5 Likes

Thanks I'll study those resources. I've heard a lot of great things about the Arch Wiki.

On the Garuda specifics, what I've discovered so far: the audio support options in the System Components tab of Garuda Assistant install a corresponding support package from the Chaotic AUR, which are meta-packages (a selection of corresponding audio framework packages are installed by it).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.