Unable to add Google Drive in both LXQT-Kwin and Dolphin

Hello, Recently installed Garuda LXQT-Kwin and when I select "Network" in Dolphin file manager, then select "Google" a blank "Online Accounts" window opens. If I select "+ Add New Account" nothing happens; the window remains blank.

Also, when I open KDE System Setting and select "Online Accounts" again a blank window appears, and selecting "+ Add New Account" also results in a blank window.

My hope is to be able to access Google Drive via Dolphin. As a total Greenhorn, I am calling on the experts here. I would appreciate your help. Thanks guys. . .

Hi there, welcome to the forum.
Please always provide your garuda-inxi as requested by the template.
Anyway, check if you have, and if not install, kio-gdrive, as suggested in the Arch wiki.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Dolphin#KIO_Slaves

3 Likes

Hello, thank you for your response. I'll give this a try:

System:
  Kernel: 6.1.11-zen1-1-zen arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 12.2.1
    Desktop: LXQt v: 1.2.1 Distro: Garuda Linux base: Arch Linux
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Equus Systems product: Nobilis v: N/A
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME Q370M-C v: Rev X.0x
    serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 2811
    date: 05/27/2020
CPU:
  Info: 8-core model: Intel Core i7-9700 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Coffee Lake
    rev: D cache: L1: 512 KiB L2: 2 MiB L3: 12 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1075 high: 3000 min/max: 800/4700 cores: 1: 800 2: 800
    3: 800 4: 800 5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 3000 bogomips: 48000
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] vendor: PNY driver: nvidia
    v: 470.161.03 arch: Fermi 2 bus-ID: 01:00.0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.7 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.8 driver: X:
    loaded: nvidia unloaded: modesetting,nouveau gpu: nvidia
    resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: OpenGL Message: Unable to show GL data. Required tool glxinfo
    missing.
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Cannon Lake PCH cAVS vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
  Device-2: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio vendor: PNY driver: snd_hda_intel
    v: kernel bus-ID: 01:00.1
  Sound API: ALSA v: k6.1.11-zen1-1-zen running: yes
  Sound Server-1: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: no
  Sound Server-2: PipeWire v: 0.3.65 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-LM vendor: ASUSTeK driver: e1000e v: kernel
    port: N/A bus-ID: 00:1f.6
  IF: eno1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 2.05 TiB used: 11.57 GiB (0.6%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WDS250G2B0A-00SM50
    size: 232.89 GiB
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST2000DM008-2FR102 size: 1.82 TiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 232.59 GiB used: 11.57 GiB (5.0%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sda2
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 299.4 MiB used: 608 KiB (0.2%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/sda1
  ID-3: /home size: 232.59 GiB used: 11.57 GiB (5.0%) fs: btrfs
    dev: /dev/sda2
  ID-4: /var/log size: 232.59 GiB used: 11.57 GiB (5.0%) fs: btrfs
  ID-5: /var/tmp size: 232.59 GiB used: 11.57 GiB (5.0%) fs: btrfs
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: zram size: 15.5 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/zram0
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 37.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 39 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 30%
Info:
  Processes: 258 Uptime: 8h 23m Memory: 15.5 GiB used: 4.96 GiB (32.0%)
  Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 12.2.1 Packages: 1329 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.16
  inxi: 3.3.25

FYI: I have installed kio-gdrive and when I run the command:
$ kioclient5 exec gdrive:/
I get the following output:

QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'

(process:24280): accounts-glib-WARNING **: 14:05:04.694: Failed to get D-Bus connection (Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=a9557f1abf7648498ce8bc907e528ef5 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1)
Manager could not be created. DB is locked

(process:24280): accounts-glib-CRITICAL **: 14:05:04.694: ag_manager_list_enabled: assertion 'AG_IS_MANAGER (manager)' failed
kf.kio.core: KIO::get didn't emit a mimetype! Please fix the KIO worker for URL QUrl("gdrive:/")

Do you see anything in Dolphin / Network?
Have you configured it somehow? Actually I don't use it so I cannot say much about it.
I guess it should be in system settings, search for online accounts...

Dolphin/Network does show a Google Drive icon. When I click on the icon, a blank window opens with a "+ Add New Account" bar at the bottom. Clicking this bar results in another blank window and nothing else.

Also, if I look at "Online Accounts" in KDS System Setting I have similar results. Blank window with the "+ Add New Account" bar. Again clicking the bar results in another blank window.

It seems maybe the problem lies in KDE. I would assume I should see a Google icon in "Online Accounts" there. I have used Garuda in the past (someone else installed it that time), and there were zero issues adding my Google Drive account. Not sure what has changed since then.

Hi @bgreen, I gave this a shot and wasn't able to get the KDE "Online Accounts" feature working either. I even brought in a couple of the major KDE meta packages while testing, but it still just shows up with a blank window when "Add New Account" is clicked.

It should be noted that the LXQt spin is not KDE, it only has a small selection of packages to support the Kwin window manager. I am honestly not sure if there is something missing that is needed for the KDE Online Accounts feature to work (I installed plasma-meta and kde-applications-meta, over 2 GB of packages, and it still didn't work), or if something from the LXQt install is interfering with it but it could be either one.

I was able to get Rclone set up. It was actually pretty easy; install from the normal repos:

sudo pacman -S rclone

Launch the command line wizard:

rclone config

Then just follow along with the prompts. If you aren't sure about the answer to a question, just accept the defaults. Sign into your account, make a mount point for it, and you're off to the races. Mount with Rclone:

rclone mount name_of_drive: /path/to/mountpoint

Then you can walk the drive in your terminal, or it shows up as a mounted device in your file explorer:

My Google Drive only has these four random files in it from years ago, but there they are. I've logged into the web version of Google Drive to illustrate that all the files are there, accessible from the file explorer.

On the back of a basic installation, you have to mount with the terminal and the terminal just sits there holding the mount; you can't close it or kick it to the background or anything. It's a little clunky.

There is a systemd service file available on their GitHub page, which would allow the drive to be auto-mounted when the system boots so you don't have to be bothered with all that: Systemd rclone mount · rclone/rclone Wiki · GitHub

There is a little reading/configuring to get it set up, but it seems like it would be worth it. If this was a resource I was using, I would set it up. Fortunately for me, setting up davfs2 mounts with Nextcloud is way easier than all of this though. :joy:

Here is the resource I referenced while setting this up, although honestly you can probably figure it out just going into it blind because it is very simple:

There are a couple other options mentioned in the article if you want to try something else instead. Fair warning: I did take a crack at installing some of the AUR packages (google-drive-ocamlfuse and gcsf) through Paru and they did not build. Your mileage may vary. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for helping me in this way. I will give this a try; fingers crossed : )

I will let you know how it goes. Thank you again. . .

BluishHumility, you are the greatest. That rclone works like an absolute charm. Everything works just like I need it to. Made sure i could transfer files to my Google drive via Dolphin file manager. Everything works PERFECTLY.

Thank you so much for taking the time to work out this solution for me. It's folks like you that make the Linux communities so wonderful. : )

1 Like

One quick thing I will add in case someone else tries this: in Dolphin, the drive did not show up under "Devices" on the left of the Dolphin window. I did a search for my mount point (~/gdrive/ in my case), then drag/dropped the folder to create a shortcut to my Google Drive on the left of the Dolphin window.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.