Ubuntu OS-Prober does not detect Garuda Installation

I am a newbie to btrfs filesystem but have been using non-Garuda linux distros on Ext-4 for years. My system- Core i-5 with 8 GB RAM with Ubuntu 22.04 installed with its GRUB.
I recently installed Garuda- gnome with btrfs FS on the same disc. However, avoided installing Garuda Grub (because of some other specific reason, which is very long to describe).
Now, after updating Ubuntu Grub, it does not detect Garuda. I am aware that latest Ubuntu 22.04 disables os-prober and accordingly, I enabled the os-prober and run the os-prober also. But it detects all other Linux distros & Windows but not Garuda (May be due to btrfs FS?)
Please advise way out. I don't want to install Garuda GRUB on the System. Thanks.

as far as I can tell it is a bad idea multiboot, especially multiple linux systems.
I would suggest to to use 2 frontload SSD slots, so you can decide which one to
boot up, and still have access to files on both if needed, but this approach is ONLY FOR DESKTOP COMPUTERS POSSIBLE.

1 Like

Ubuntu like M$ Win do not recognize Garuda Linux.
So, you need to install Garuda after M$ or Ubuntu.

From Garuda grub you can then start all other OS.

3 Likes

What is the reasoning behind this? The themeing can be discarded or changed if you prefer something plain.

3 Likes

Long Answer...Hopefully I am able to explain....I have nvme ssd but my main OS- ubuntu installed on that nvme does not boot from there (motherboard limitation). Workaround is I have another ubuntu installation on another HDD, bootloader and Grub of the HDD is used to load nvme- Ubuntu. But to do this successfully, condition is that same kernel shall be installed in both OSes. Since Garuda and Ubuntu LTS will obviously use different kernels, therefore, if I replace Ubuntu Grub on HDD with Garuda, I cannot use Garuda Bootloader and Grub to load Ubuntu on my nvme. So, it is necesary to keep Ubuntu Grub and use it to load Garuda on HDD. Hope this explains.

Sorry, but I disagree. I have been using Multiboot with several Linux distributions- Ubuntu, Manjaro, Zorin including another Winxxxx for several years now, successfully, without any problem. The problem is Garuda is not getting detected by Ubuntu Grub which detects all other Linux distributions and Winxxxx successfully.

1 Like

could be that you are right, personally, I heard of enough problems with that, that I rather keep things simple for me. (additionally is to be said that multiboot with Microsoft contains security risks for the PC), but sorry for I missed the topic , my opinions don't belong necessarily right here

Not sure, I hope it's useful:

This sounds like the actual problem. What is the reason an OS will not boot from there?

To me, this does not seem like a minor inconvenience to be worked around–this seems like a showstopping breakage. What if this was your only disk? You would not be able to use the computer at all. I would investigate why booting off the NVME is not working–take a look through your BIOS settings for starters.

Regarding the different Grubs not being able to see each other, the first thing I would suspect is some installations are in legacy mode and some in UEFI mode. Grub can only detect one or the other, so if you have a mix that would explain why the installations on the other drives cannot be detected.

A simple way out of this whole mess would be to use the rEFInd boot manager, which will detect all of the installations no matter legacy or EFI or different disks, Grub/no Grub/Btrfs Grub, whatever. rEFInd - ArchWiki

If you are not interested in going down another path and only want to get a different result from the Ubuntu Grub, it might be helpful to ask in the Ubuntu forums–they might have a better idea why their implementation of Grub is not properly detecting other OS’s.

4 Likes

AFAIK non Arch based distros cannot detect Arch distros installed to BTRFS. Install Garuda GRUB again, Garuda should pick up Ubuntu fine.

1 Like

Thank you very much. I will try to check if I can detect my nvme Distros using this. By the way, how do I come to know which partition shall be correctly set in e.g. "set root='hd0,gpt11', what is the command to know the same? Also, if I have etx4 partition, then should I use "insmod ext4" instead of "insmod ext2" and not include "insmod btrfs" line at all? Is my understanding correct? I know I am asking for help for the information from an external URL, but sorry, I don't fully understand the information on that link. Thanks in advance.

Before starting any corrective actions, you should first do some troubleshooting, in order to find the solution that suits better to your case.
Grub manual and Archwiki include simplified, detailed, case-by-case instructions and examples of custom grub entries, for booting other distributions. They are all mostly compatible with Ubuntu and other distros’ grub.cfg, and can be used with disabled os-prober, in a file at /boot/grub/custom.cfg (or grub2, depending on the distro).

os-prober is only a convenience utility, for automatic discovery of other systems. It is neither mandatory nor the only way to use grub bootloader to boot other systems.

I suggest you do some reading and post info from your troubleshooting, so you get proper advice from forum users.

A good summary of main considerations is in @BluishHumility post.

5 Likes

As you say “sorry, but I disagree”.

You are running an absurdly complex boot scenario and yet you think this is a Garuda issue to resolve!

This is precisely why Garuda’s position is that we do not officially support multi-booting. If you feel you are a competent enough Linux user to run such a bizzare multi-boot arrangement, then you should be capable of fixing this on your own.

This policy was put in place so that an inordinate amount of forum time is not wasted trying to support non-standard installations.

@petsam was kind enough to link the Arch support documentation for you, now do your research and find your own answer. I can pretty much say unequivocally that no one else on our forum is running a boot setup such as yours, so you are on your own.

Enough time wasted here, thread is locked.

5 Likes