Tutorials or documentation instead of assistance

It would be easier for some people to know how to fix their system and learn more if there was something like documentation explaining how things are supposed to be setup.

For example, how btrfs-assistant sets up subvolumes, what each parts of the program means.

2 Likes

Here’s one such from the Garuda Wiki, easily accessed from the forum main menu,

The Garuda Wiki, while not as extensive as the Arch Wiki, is essential for anyone wanting to know more about Garuda and how it works.

11 Likes

It doesn’t tell me anything which subvolumes I can delete safely, or what the difference between snapper subvolumes and subvolumes in the other area is.

It also doesn’t tell me how to it normally boots, how grub needs to be setup, where the EFI or kernel needs to be so that later garuda-update gets it right.

It sounds like you are this close :pinching_hand: to figuring this one out for yourself. :wink:

What is “the other area”? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If you have specific questions about the configuration, ask them. You are the only one here who knows what questions you have.

If you think there should be some documentation added, write it and submit a merge request.

1 Like

This is a technical support forum. The whole point is to ask questions and learn from each other. Ask the forum.

:man_shrugging: I don’t know what to tell you. It sounds like you want someone to read your mind so they know what specific questions you want answered, and then spend their time writing up a hand-holding guide that explains the rationale behind every configuration decision, but is not overwhelming like you perceive the Arch Wiki to be, and then publish the documentation so you can read it at your leisure, but all without interacting with you because you don’t want to deal with anyone. I hate to say so, but that’s not going to happen.

This distro is literally open source. It is basically the opposite of a black box. Every application, configuration file, and system process has documentation. Everything Garuda Linux does is world-readable in GitLab.

If you want to learn more about something just ask. If you don’t want to ask then read through the docs and forums. Acting rudely and disrespecting the community shouldn’t be a part of it either way.

7 Likes