Tutorial for Dual Boot Garuda Linux + WINDOWS 10

well I would like to tell a little experience that just happened to me in DualBoot, because before I from the file explorer itself could access my windows partition and from there I could copy files to my partition of garuda because for a long time I think for an update in Plasma with Dolphin now no longer asks for authentication to enter the partition but you can enter defrente, and just yesterday I entered the partition and delete some heavy files like ISO's I had there, and just when I wanted to return to windows it turned out that the NTFS file system was corrupted, and wait for it to restore the truth I do not beat around the bush so I removed Windows defrente and reinstall it, for the information I lost the truth I manage much Drive, Dropbox, Pcloud and OneDrive so I did not mind losing the windows for a day but it remains as a recommendation.

¡¡Do not enter the windows partition and alter the files!!.

IMO the only reason you should alter any files on a Windows drive from within Linux is to remove a malware infection. Even then, it is best to simply flush an infected system as cleaning it unless you are very adept is very difficult.

IMO it is best to leave any Windows installations invisible/unmounted or mount as read only. Doing otherwise is only looking to create problems unless you are extremely careful.

4 Likes

Although I seldom use it, I too have a separate SSD with windows on it which I never touch with linux, but I do have a larger 1tb drive that has an 800gb ntfs partition for data which I share between both windows and linux.

I write and delete stuff there from both linux and windows without any issues and have done this for years with several different linux flavors. I don't really think it's a problem to manage a disk this way, I'm curious if there isn't something specific about the drive being a boot partition vs just a data partition? I'm very curious to know why there would be issues touching windows disks in a lot more detail.

This is only really advisable if you mount the NTFS drive in Windows file name compatibility mode using fstab.

While you may not have issues if you are meticulous about your file names this is a recipe for sure drive corruptions. All it takes is a movie or mp3 file name with a colon in it to completely corrupt the drive beyond usability. Sometimes the drive’s file system can be repaired, and other times it cannot.

The only way to avoid this issue is to mount the drive in fstab with Windows file name compatibility so that no files with illegal characters can be transfered or created on your NTFS format drives.

4 Likes

I usually mount after startup just by clicking on the device in Dolphin and on other OS, with their filemanager. I've never tried adding it to fstab. I get a drive on /run/media, maybe by default these are connecting in windows filename compatibility mode? I will definitely look into this in more detail as maybe I've just been lucky.

2 Likes

Hi,
I want to use dual boot garuda Linux and windows 10. For installation I found https://youtu.be/C-KmtnwdIls video. Is there anything I should not do or not use according to the video?

1 Like

We use text, not videos or pictures for support issues on the Garuda technical help threads. This is not Facebook or YouTube. Technical help is done in a textual manner here. Forum assistants are not going to waste their time watching random YouTube videos.

5 Likes

It's all fine apart from the fact he used Rufus. Use Etcher instead.

Don't expect any help though. You might get help but don't feel entitled to it dual-booting is not and never will be supported.

Welcome to Garura! Enjoy your time!

I wouldn't say that across the board.

My first Garuda ISO, which I installed as a dual boot, was created with Rufus.

But maybe I am just a lucky kid who has passed all the problems discussed in the forum, apart from the multimedia and Mint DEs that are no longer supported.

1 Like

I only say because on Garuda Wiki it says

Dont use Rufus to flash the iso to USB - instead use dd (etcher, imagewriter,…) or Ventoy!

1 Like

Yes, and you can assume that the devs know why they are advising this.

If I had used Rufus more than once, I could certainly understand.

2 Likes

Hi there,

Thanks for this tutorial. I currently have 3 HDD for storage and a SSD for Win10, I've just purchased an new SSD and I'm planning on installing Garuda on it.
To summerize I will have;
SSD1; Garuda Linux
SSD2; Windows 10
HDD1/2/3; Personal data

I've read the tutorial and was wondering if I had to install Win10 again or if I can just install Garuda on my new SSD?

Just install Garuda on new drive.
you shouldnt need to re install windows.
If you are unsure just un plug old drives while you install garuda

2 Likes

If ready, plug in unpluged and run

sudo update-grub
3 Likes

Appreciate the effort, but why would you create a tutorial which is advised not to do?

Thanks for the quick answer.