Touchpad scrolling sensitivity too high, newbie

You may want to forgive me.
I just realized I inverted the order in the command above. It is
sudo ln -s /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf

Anyway, if it doesn't help, in my opinion you should try to go back to my initial idea of using libinput.
I know it's a lot of stuff... You have to try...
Start listing your devices, see how to change properties etc...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Libinput#Via_xinput

1 Like

I'm a tad confused, each screenshot with synclient you have some options listed like you've run it and got those values. However how with the error it would mean you couldn't have successfully run it.

Given I thought you had run it to get those values I figured it was installed and loaded so let's just start with installing to ensure you have the packages.

sudo pacman -S xf86-input-synaptics

1 Like

It worked!

Not sure what exactly did it but i ran
sudo ln -s /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf
first and then
sudo pacman -S xf86-input-synaptics
and restarted my laptop.

After that i ran
synclient VertScrollDelta=-250
and it worked like a charm!

Thank you all!

2 Likes

Allā€™s well that ends well.
I donā€™t know where the problem was, I see that you had tried to install xf86-input-synaptics before.
Probably the symlink gave precedence to synaptics over libinput, but I had always read the opposite (that the 40-libinput.conf symlink had to be done if you wanted to be sure to use libinput). Never mindā€¦
In the end that old Manjaro post was helpful in my opinion, where by the way I just noticed a familiar nameā€¦ :eyes: Greetings to @Bro :wink:

Edit: I did not remember correctlyā€¦
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Touchpad_Synaptics#Configuration

After installing xf86-input-synaptics, a default configuration file is located at /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/70-synaptics.conf. Users can copy this file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and edit it to configure the various driver options available

2 Likes

Hell yeah brother! heh (who'd a thunk Hulk Hogan references would still be in use in 2020's)

3 Likes