Systemsettings, and Latte crashes, Title bar

Hey there,
I just recently started using Garuda after Manjaro got too annyoing, I am very happy about Garuda's abilities and assistants, but I have a few problems, I don't know, what to do about:

First of all - Is there a way to toggle the window title bar being moved and merged into latte when making a window? I'd just like to have the ability, to do that, in case I want to change that at some point - I don't see it as a bug, more like an aggressive feature.

I also have a few problems with crashes:
Sometimes, latte just randomly crashes/restarts while moving windows, and it also sometimes doesn't start at all after booting - am I doing something wrong here?

Now, I have a very weird crash. The systemsettings worked fine 15 minutes ago, before I logged out and back in, now the program is just crashing right away when I click on any setting:

kf.coreaddons: Two plugins with the same interface( QObject ) were registered. Use keywords to identify the plugins.
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/templates/OverlaySheet.qml:200:38: QML FocusScope: Binding loop detected for property "contentItemMaximumWidth"
file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/templates/OverlaySheet.qml:200:38: QML FocusScope: Binding loop detected for property "contentItemMaximumWidth"
Cannot install element 'BaseModel' into protected module 'org.kde.private.kcms.keys' version '2'
fish: Job 1, 'systemsettings5' terminated by signal SIGSEGV (Address boundary error)

What happened here?
Thanks!

Regarding latte not starting correctly search the forum for:

latte sleep 3

4 Likes

This applies for this case too:

3 Likes

Look for borderless windows in Latte Configuration GUI.
More at kde docs on latte.

Your other issues seem to be more than one problems.
Clear local cache and confirm your system is up-to-date and rebooted after updates.
Read on KDE troubleshooting at Archwiki.

4 Likes

Hmm, I cleared the cash, made sure my system was up-to-date (Even got some kernel updates) but still, it's crashing.. I don't know, what to do now, I guess I should have rebooted a few more times earlier lol - I didn't update anything today yet before just now, though it still worked, and after a relog it's now broken.
EDIT: I reinstalled every package, still nothing changed - I don't know what else would work.
Thanks though!

Check journal for serious errors.

man journalctl
2 Likes

Lucky, I just booted up my pc, the log is very clean:

I really have no clue, what to do with this, as I don't have that of an in-depth knowlage of qt and other linux system stuff.
I hope this log helps!

EDIT 2: I also reinstalled my system partition, only to find, that that did nothing at all regarding the systemsettings problem, so it must be related to the cache. though clearing it did nothing so far, not even when clearing it from a live usb

EDIT 3: The command I used to get the logs: journalctl -p 3 -xb > log.log

Post system info (read Garuda wiki on instructions, how to post).

The issue maybe connected to your gpu driver.

• Add your gpu driver to mkinitcpio.conf MODULES array and recreate images.
  • Read Archwiki for troubleshooting and configuration of your gpu driver.
  • Change Compositor settings in System Settings.

Post what you have done and tested already.

Tip: When posting terminal output, it is important to also post input (the command that produced that output).

5 Likes

So I added the command to the answer from above now, I haven't really been in any linux forums yet, so please excuse my lack of info.
Anyways, here is my inxi output:

CPU: 6-Core AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 3242/2200/3600 MHz
Kernel: 5.12.3-zen1-1-zen x86_64 Up: 17m Mem: 6752.1/32115.9 MiB (21.0%) Storage: 2.96 TiB (8.6% used)
Procs: 356 Shell: fish inxi: 3.3.04

What I have tried:

• I cleared the local cache
  • I installed the packages, that mkinitcpio -P warned me about (aic94xx, wd719x, xhci_pci)
  • Reinstalled my system partition via the live system

What you requested me to do:

• The GPU driver is already added to the mkinitcpio.confg (Should be the right driver for the RX 560): MODULES=(intel_agp i915 amdgpu radeon nouveau)

Bruh
Okay, I found the problem: I accidently set the Rendering backend to OpenGL 3.0 while looking into the options in that list. - I reset it to the defaults, and now it's working - How. Why. Weirdness.

Thank you so much for leading me to the compositor, I didn't know this could break things

(For some reason, the poweroff screen magically disappeared)

1 Like

Okay, this may have just gotten way more confusing than before:
The approach with the rendering backend worked, but after a reboot, it then didn't anymore, so I decided to try to clear the cache once more, and set the rendering backend back to 3.1, and that worked. I just tried to open my settings, and click on an entry, but once again, it is crashing. I cleared the cache once more, and tried both XRender and OpenGL 2.0 as rendering backend. Both lead to a settings crash, even after rebooting, nothing changed. - Is there some other compositing option, that can affect those things?
EDIT: I turned off "Allow applications to block compositing" (Latte does not seem to require it anymore), and now it's working again with OpenGL 3.1
EDIT 2: Not anymore

So I have found a temporary (hopefully forever working) workaround: The sidebar view works, the Icon view crashes.

Check at KDE bugs for an open bug report and contribute, or open a new one with your issue.

4 Likes

Already did that :wink:

2 Likes