Sudo command Time-out

Yes. but now pamac lets me authenticate. Also, no more errors in alacritty.

I'm confused. :confused:
Definitely I did not add myself to wheel just now, whether it was default from the start or I'm an idiot and forgot about adding myself to wheel in the past is irrelevant, but since I'm quite sure I must have been in wheel before this sudo issue, how comes I got the error in the first place?

I surmise the sudo upgrade must have changed sudoers permissions. When I gave the guest root privledges I could do root stuff in that account and so I re-enrolled arthur account into the wheel group. I also rebooted after for good measure and all seems normal. I dont know enough to fix sudo stuff though. Sorry. I should add I used settings to give the guest account admin powers. This trick worked 4 years ago and still worked again for me now.

Duh, it didn't occur me it could have been the update. Off I go chasing rabbits once again... :slight_smile:

edit: confusion intensifies. I could not find anything in https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/s/sudo/sudo-1.9.9-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst that would add me to wheel. Assuming I'm looking at the right package and not missing something. Oh well. My biological system wants to hibernate over low battery. :zzz: :sleeping:
See you next time and thanks for finding out about the 1.9.8 / 1.9.9 thing. :+1:

I'm getting this error too but I can't use sudo at all since it's not accepting my password. I use the same password on all my systems (I know it's dumb but it's to avoid situations like this where I'm locked out) now I can't stay without logging out because if I do, I lose all my Linux system files.

This doesn't make any sense honestly.

2 Likes

I am getting same error. And what @filo recommend it didn't work. Any solution form the author @virat_17 ?? How did you fixed that?

Problem with application's authentication

It simply won't recive my password

But in terminal I can get root access

Check the solution above or reload the page

Same problem and in terminal also it is showing the same error as yours.

Resetting it didn't solve mine. I reset it and relogged in as it said. But same.

I have hard time to replay I will answer @ 5:00 PM IST are you ok with that

I'm student and I will be free at 5:00 PM to 10PM IST

i just restored the system with yesterday's snapshot. It is fine now.

Edit: the problem comes with the update. It also updates sudo and the starts the problem.

Now I am not able to restore snapshot since my pasword is incorrect even in terminal.

The stinging irony of this whole thing is it's darn near impossible to fix since downgrade requires sudo to be working properly. Snapshots it is... I wish that didn't have to be the answer.

EDIT: And now KDE authentication prompts aren't accepting my password. Has my machine been compromised?

I rebooted again and now sudo is working fine? :interrobang:

If you can get SUDO to work with a reboot, I highly suggest you downgrade SUDO to 1.9.8 until whatever this bug is, is fixed.

edit: I switched over to a terminal window with Ctrl+Alt+F2, and was able to login to my normal account and use SUDO, in case that helps someone else.

1 Like

Same issue. I thought I was compromised. Rebooted and sudo worked fine. The same error/warning shows:

[WARN] - (starship::utils): Executing command “/usr/bin/sudo” timed out.
[WARN] - (starship::utils): You can set command_timeout in your config to a higher value to allow longer-runni
ng commands to keep executing.

@teygah @Aegon @ira787 @fieldsfury (edit: sorry fieldsfury I didn't see you before :slight_smile: )
Only thing that totally got rid of the annoyance for me was to

[sudo]
disabled = true

in ~/.config/starship.toml, which you don't need sudo to edit.

Downgrading a package (like I tried before) is almost always a mess here, better then to use snapper/timeshift to restore the system to before the sudo 1.9.9 update.

sudo should work fine in a shell without starship, just type bash at the command line (assuming you did not configure bash to use starship).

See the full thread for details.

6 Likes

@meanruse thanks for that. Worked great for me.

1 Like

hey i am also getting the same issue and not able to use sudo. is there a fix for that yet?

Someone of us seems to have done the right thing :slight_smile:

7 Likes

And the sudo team fixed the issue (only in repo for now, no release yet).

3 Likes