Still have QT5 dependency installed

how can i remove this old QT5 dependency ?

What’s the problem with not posting garuda-inxi?
It contains additional, useful information about the status of your system.

Did you search in forum?

:warning: Missing information requested in the template may result in not receiving assistance

Make sure you have done the following before you post:

Issue still unresolved? Then:

• ONE issue per topic.
  • Describe your issue in detail. The more we know, the better we can help
  • Show us the results of your searches, and what you’ve tried
  • After rebooting, post the FULL output of garuda-inxi in the body of the post (not linked externally, or collapsed with the “hide details” feature)
  • Format terminal output (including your garuda-inxi) as a code block by clicking the preformatted text button (</>) , or put three tildes (~) above and below the text

Without garuda-inxi this request will be moved to 412 Precondition Failed

3 Likes

It’s possible that there are Qt5 apps other than KDE still in need of the deps, so removing might not be possible. You can use the Garuda Assistant to clean the real orphans.

5 Likes

sudo pacman -Qtdq <—lists orphans
sudo pacman -Rns $(pacman -Qtdq) <—removes orphans

Just FYI, QT5 is gonna be around for a very long time. Be sure you understand what you are removing.

3 Likes

There is a function in Garuda’s config.fish

# Cleanup local orphaned packages
function cleanup
    while pacman -Qdtq
        sudo pacman -R (pacman -Qdtq)
    end
end

just type cleanup in terminal and check.

4 Likes

You people with your fancy, schmatzy scripts! Faaah!

Byte me!
:rofl:

4 Likes

Plus the handy dandy Garuda Assistant program has a button just for this!

Easy as clicking a button. :wink:

2 Likes

LOL! Garuda is making Linux desktop computing even easier than…Windows! :wink:

It’s sad to me, in a way, because it’s just yet another obfuscation that separates the user from the underlying operating system. But, you know, it’s also kinda why we’ve worked so long and so hard to make the Linux desktop so concrete. :smiley:

3 Likes

That’s the goal right? In order for more people to switch to Linux, it needs to be easy enough for beginners switching from Windows or Mac. We still have the choice to either use GUI or terminal (I’m a terminal guy myself, though I shamelessly do use the cleanup alias lol), and that’s the great thing. The choice is there, but the obfuscation is there to help newer users. It’s fantastic! I think Linux is making leaps and bounds towards newbie friendly interfaces which in turn is attracting more people. It’s great! The terminal will always be close to my heart though!

2 Likes

I don’t think that Linux has any such goal. I’ve thought It’s always been about making it easier for and by the current users. I think that has been what makes it more attractive even to beginners. That, and Microsoft’s abortion of their own desktop. I’d be happy with zero new users. Scratching-a-personal-itch is what Linux has always done for me. Screw the Masses! :wink:

LOL! No, I don’t really feel that way. I do what little I can to make my own system run better and share that. Does that scratch anyone else’s itch? I dunno. I feel like it does. I hope it does. But I don’t give two shakes if it attracts new users.

That’s a niche that folks like @librewish & @dr460nf1r3 fill. :smiley:

2 Likes

Haha, I wasn’t talking about Linux officially as in the org. The strong the user base of something, the more contributors partake, the better that software becomes. I’m not discounting the Garuda team’s efforts at all; they have done an amazing job. I just think attracting new users SHOULD be at least a minor goal, so Linux just becomes better and better. Plus more people having the freedom to enhance their workflows and desktops as they see fit!

1 Like

I kinda think the opposite. The better Linux becomes, the more users are attracted, sure. And, yeah, “many hands make light work.”

But there is no direction in the Linux world. I think it’s like business goals. Money should be an indicator of how well one is doing, but not the end/be all of it.

When my wife and I were in business, profit was how we judged how innovative we were, but not the end goal. We already knew we provided a needed service. We were convinced we could earn a living from it. We just wanted to be better at what we were doing, and what we earned was the yardstick we used to judge.

Linux has proven itself already. The adoption rate is a yardstick of how well.

I don’t think we’re in disagreement. Just the blindmen/elephant paradigm. :smiley:

1 Like

Fair enough, I see your point, and I think we’re at minimum partially in agreement here! I can’t say I’ve really disagreed with anything you’ve said so far. :slight_smile:

1 Like

“A takes a village…whah?”

I think it’s “One for all, all for one!”
:person_fencing:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.