Startup sound?

hello,
is there a way to get a startup sound? I looked in pamac (add/remove software) and i got the no package found error. I have also looked online and found tutorials but i couldn't follow them because i couldn't find the applications/setting i needed to change. Does anyone know how to do this?

1 Like

Just boot in to Windows. :rofl:

4 Likes

Come on show some respect.

i fell dumb asking this but who are you talking to? :slight_smile:

I think that highly depends on what desktop environment you are using. Please provide some more information on that.

2 Likes

i'm using the kde plasma version of garuda linux.

You might want to have a look in Plasma settings -> notifications -> application settings -> plasma-workspace, there might be something like this in there.

6 Likes

Thanks! i did it i’ll have to test it later because I can’ restart right now but i will report back later!

1 Like

Its definitely there, was playing around with it just now. Maybe also install oxygen-sounds from the AUR to have the default sound effects working. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@sammiev for saying to use windblows.

This is kinda off topic but i don't really like windows if linux had support for all my application i would get rid of windows. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For most applications there are alternatives though. Just gotta get comfortable with them :slight_smile:

5 Likes

i mean like games

Use steam for that :rofl::rofl: or use wine to run not all but 80% of them.
And also I want to add that linux gamers are true gamers :wink: who sacrifice all.

If I have to listen to an OS boot up with startup sound I would switch to another OS. :shushing_face:
I have to listen to my wife all day. Actually you kind of sound like her. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Hi! Here's my solution: you have to create a service (call it startup-sound.service in /etc/systemd/system/) with this inside:

[Unit]
Name=Play Startup Sound
After=sound.target
Before=mpd.service

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/bin/mpv --volume=80 /startup_sound.wav

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

This requires mpv installed and a sound of your choice, that you have to replace instead of "startup_sound.wav". It can be in any audio format you prefer.
Enjoy.

4 Likes

Just matter of taste :slight_smile:
Something new to play with :smiley:
And nothing you can't change to your liking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that an insult or a compliment?

Don’t worry i use wine and it works with almost all my games its just 2 that don’t work. I use lutris aswell (with steam). Its really just one game i care about so mostly i use windows to make a live garudalinux usb if i mess something up xD.

Well i’m a linux noob (in my name) i just started using linux/garudalinux 2 - 3 weeks ago and i don’t really understand this so i’ll just use the option dr460nf1r3 suggested