Share some of the most shameful mistakes you ever made in your Linux journey

You too, @Bro !

I visit to browse selected threads, but don't post much.

3 Likes

I think that will count as a brick, or otherwise a very large paperweight. :wink:

7 Likes

For that device, I didn’t want to run afoul of your past comments regarding the term. The second item, the iPaq–yeah, a true bricking. :wink: I missed it sorely. I was the envy of the Department of Transportation. :wink:

6 Likes

I'd hate to think what a large monitor was worth in the mid 90's. In Canada a small 14" monitor retailed for about $500. I'd hate to think what a large one was worth back then.

I hope that was some gov't surplus item you blowed up real good. :smile:

4 Likes

I owned a successful small business and money to blow…or, the ‘company’ did, anyway. IIRC, it was 17" but don’t recall the manufacturer. They weren’t that expensive. About the same cost as a 12" color IBM monitor was in '88. I think it was a year after I blew a mobo…the one and only time I didn’t ground myself. :frowning:

regards

3 Likes

I guess I've just been lucky. I never use a ground strap and I've never had an issue. I would use one if it was the time of year that's prone to static discharges, but that almost never happens where I'm living.

Luckily computers were advancing so quickly 20 years ago that there was always plenty of discarded computers to learn the ropes rebuilding computers. Except for the video card (easily upgradable on desktops) computers have a far more extended life span now. 20 years ago Linux wasn't really a great option as the software selection available back then was pitiful compared to today's great free software.

6 Likes

Unless you were an actual by-God computer technician, the most common way was by simply grabbing the frame after removing the cover.

3 Likes

My worst goof was distro hopping on bare metal. I carelessly installed the new root over an active /home partition. Fortunately, my personal data was elsewhere. But it was a learning experience fixing the /home/user on the old distro...

5 Likes

enable wayland when i was using lightdm.

5 Likes

anyone ever delete /etc by accident?
I did. On a production webserver with 10000 customers running on an ext4 filesystem. :slight_smile: bad night.

9 Likes

Well now I don't feel so bad for admitting to my "dd" boo boo. :smiley:

7 Likes

now i never did this, but it was covered in one of the training classes i wrote. Do you know what happens when you restart named on a shared hosting server with a few thousand customers on it?
It takes a WHILE to parse and restart. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The worst thing SystemD

This topic has been beaten to death. Please don't try to incite flame wars regarding systemd (or any other hot button topic) on the forum.

There are Arch based distros for those who are opposed to using systemd that users are free to install and use. Arch has supported systemd for many years, and that isn't going to change anytime in the foreseeable future. There's no point in tearing open old wounds again because systemd is pretty much the standard now (like it or not).

10 Likes

When I was still a brand new Linux noob I connected my smart TV to my computer with an HDMI cable so I could watch some videos. The TV looked great but my main monitor just had a mostly blank screen with a little mouse image on it. I thought the TV had fried my graphics card or something. I troubleshot it for hours before I figured out that the TV was now my primary display and the mouse screen was just the logo for xfce! I have never felt so dumb.

7 Likes

When I first started to use git (still can't use it lol) I was compiling a kernel and accidentally synced my home directory with the kernel repo. When I deleted the kernel repo you can guess what happened, yep I deleted my entire home folder as well. Of course because I was a noob I didn't bother to setup timeshift or anything, lost everything

11 Likes
  1. Installed Ubuntu :laughing:
  2. Tried to install deb in Manjaro. Luckily my social anxiety stopped me making a post on the Forum and I figured out how it works.
  3. Got shouted at Manjaro for telling them they should be able to open Dolphin as root. Jonathon joined in at that. :laughing: I have a feeling he enjoyed himself
  4. Tried to install Gentoo
  5. Installed Gentoo (still a mistake don't worry)
  6. Compiling a kernel on Gentoo (as one does) and rebooted halfway. Well I didn't completely reboot as you've guessed. KERNEL PANIC still scares me.
  7. Symlinked my EFI folder with my Download's folder. You've guessed what will happen.

This all happened quite recently . Perhaps it may suprise you but I have only been using linux since last lockdown - so around a year. But learning experience! Gentoo was helpful in understanding a lot. And in general the internet helped me. Not enough though as you can see.

6 Likes

Yes…those - yes. Just brrr! (Still need occasional therapy :wink:)

Well said - I share your pain. :rofl:

4 Likes

I have made this experience as well. Invaluable lessons learned from running a Gentoo system :smiley:

4 Likes

Seems the only discernable reason for Gentoo is as a right of passage? :rofl: (still burning)

3 Likes