Screen brightness with external monitors

Hello everybody,

First of all, I'd like to say that Garuda is extremely awesome IMO and I love it :smiley:

My current and only problem is with controlling screen brightness. What I've found is that if I boot with both my external monitors plugged in, their brightness will be changing with FN keys, and if I unplug them FN keys now change my the brightness on my laptop screen.

This is not that big of a problem, but ideally I'd like to be able to control all 3 simultaneously. Does anyone have any experience with such cases?

I've never heard of external displays being controlled by a laptop's brightness keys, so you're one step ahead of most people there...

ddccontrol (in the AUR, with gddccontrol for a GUI) can also be used to control external display brightness.

2 Likes

Yeah, I haven't either before today xD

It's interesting to me that it only works if they are both connected (note, just one doesn't work) before booting.

Thanks for the tip.

I just use xrandr itself to set the external display. You can get the info from typing xrandr in the terminal.
For me I use:

xrandr --output HDMI-1 --brightness 0.8

which is 80% brightness and 1.0 is 100% .
I use the above line for my HDMI-1 screen in a startup script or you can just type it in your terminal.

1 Like