RTW88_8821ce - WiFi broken on kernel 5.15 with recent update

Firstly, thank you for a wonderful distro!

When upgrading my kernel to the latest 5.15, module build failures occured, and when I rebooted, the system comes up, but no internet as no wireless, given the failure of the rtw88_8821ce module to compile.

The error message was a failure to find a referenced include: net/ipx.h. Poked around in the /usr/src for the kernel, and sure enough, there is no ipx header file in the 5.15 source, yet there is in the 5.14 source.

I would have posted my hardware specs, yet I had to boot into Bill Gate's operating system in order to post this message.

I was pleasantly AMAZED to discover that your snapshot system allowed me to effortlessly reboot into a useable system, replete with internet and 5.14 kernel.

Again, THANK YOU for a wonderfully usable system! If only the underlying package manager were more mature, robust, and more ports-like I might well be content and not opine so repetitiously for a modernized, BSD operating-system which had broader hardware support, was easily installed, and readily incorporated innovations and progress. Miss you, BSD... :-(o

F.

Hello.

Post your terminal/konsole in- and output as text (no pictures) from:

inxi -Faz

Without it, you will not receive any help from the Garuda team or your topic is likely to be closed without notice.

Before you open a new help request, read relevant sections of the Arch and Garuda wiki.
Thoroughly search your issue and any error messages in the forum and on the web.

Report everything you have already attempted to solve your problem.

Welcome :slight_smile:

If booting into the snapshot is possible, why don’t you post your inxi?

It would also be interesting to see the terminal output from the update, but without running it, to know which kernel etc. you are using.

BTW, the system and package manager are robust but sometimes the hardware driver not. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a common Realtek driver problem. Often new kernel updates will break the driver. The usual remedy is to install the linux-lts kernel and use it until the issue is corrected on the newer kernels.

Welcome to the Garuda forum.

1 Like

Problem solved: I LOVE your SNAPSHOT / BTRFS system!!!

My fellow nerds, what you have made is seriously the BEST Linux distro and experience I have ever had the pleasure of using. I still long for a compile-my-own option like BSD ports system, though. Pacman might improve, in my perhaps only my worthless estimation, by making its usage options more human-friendly and worded rather than the obtuse system of symbols it currently uses. It is perhaps the learning-curve which turns off a lot of potential users. Human language terms such as the hypothetical 'pacman upgrade chromium' or 'pacman upgrade all' would please me. I understand that this shortcoming is the raison-d'etre for the plethora of auxiliary package managers: paru, pamac, yay, etc...

As for robustness, I have encountered twice a situation where pacman refused to execute the installation or removal of a package because of conflicts it could not resolve or for which it could not provide me options. I don't remember the exact details. Yet as compared to other package managers in the Linux realm, pacman surely holds its own, and well. Yet as compared to NetBSD's pkgsrc or FreeBSD's pkg, pacman surely has room to grow and evolve, as it recently left me with an unusable system. Hence my original post here on the forum. If it were not for the snapshot system, I would have left Garuda and Arch distros and never returned or looked back in my search to find a useable desktop operating system...

This never would have happened on a BSD. Please understand that I mean you no offense. Yet it is a truly high standard BSD has left impressed upon me. I came to Garuda because my wireless card has no driver in any BSD OS.

Understand that Garuda is the BEST Linux distro I have used to date -- and trust me, being a career systems administrator / engineer by trade, I have used more than many...

Again, thank you!

F.