Root Actions menu gone in Plasma 6

Hello all,

I am having an issue with the Root Actions service menu not appearing in Dolphin’s context menu after the Plasma 6 update. I have copied the 10-rootactionsfolders.desktop, 11-rootactionsfolders.desktop, and to /usr/share/kio/servicemenus and /.local/share/kio/servicemenus. All files are marked as executable and show up in Configure Dolphin → Context Menu and are checked, yet do not appear in the context menu.

If I roll back to a previous snapshot from before the update, functionality is restored. I don’t use this tool very often, but when I do it is incredibly useful. This issue appears as soon as the updates are installed and persists after rebooting.

I just checked and you’re right it’s missing, and in my case it’s not in the context menu list in Dolphin settings any longer. I ran pacseek and by it it was still installed. I proceeded to remove it and add it back and still not there. You need to take this up with the KDE devs since this is on them, which I’m about to do now. I’m also going to message the maintainer for the version of Rootactions I use. I’ll post the links once I’m done.

1 Like

It’s only showing up in the context menu configure list because I moved those .desktop and .pl files to the two locations I referenced. I initially assumed it was a KDE issue as I didn’t explicitly install anything to provide this functionality so I posted it over on their subreddit, but was told it’s not a KDE issue.

Thank you for reporting the issue on the AUR and making a post on the KDE forums. I’ll keep an eye on both those locations for a solution

I personally don’t care what they are claiming it is a KDE issue as in the devs didn’t make sure key KDE component addon creators updated their addons to work with Plasma 6.

KDE 6 support is now available as kf6-servicemenus-rootactions.


Hey nice! Good to see you over here :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! Works perfectly

1 Like

I’d add replaces=(oldpackage) so people get migrated to the new package automatically? :thinking:


As far as I know replaces does not work for AUR packages.

EDIT: I see you added it to the Chaotic AUR, in that case it might work, I’ll try it.

EDIT 2: I added the replaces and tested with my own repo, it did not seem to work.

Yep :slight_smile: So you are not getting a prompt to replace the old package with the new one from your repo when running the -Syu?

I’m also not sure whether it works for AUR packages themselves, probably you are right. For repos its very useful however.

Thanks much appreciated, installed and working like a charm.

I’ve tried a few different versions now and I can’t seem to get replaces working, will try again tomorrow when I find the time.

Btw. it seems the Chaotic AUR actively prevents replaces (see here).

1 Like

I installed with pikaur -Sy kf6-servicemenus-rootactions, so I installed the AUR version. Unfortunately I learned a LONG time ago regardless of what distro it is to remove their root-actions and install the one from the AUR. For some reason almost all distros like to mess with it.

Oh boy, that’s a problem. I forgot about that one since it hasn’t always been the case :eyes: But it explains why it doesn’t work in Chaotic-AUR :smiley:


See this commit for bypassing that (intentional) limitation on chaotic’s side:


I never questioned whether it was intentional or not - obviously it is. Thanks :hugs:

Edit: thanks to @stefanwimmer128 's PR it’s now working as intended.

nico@dragons in ~
❯ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronising package databases...
garuda is up to date
core is up to date
extra is up to date
multilib is up to date
chaotic-aur                             2,5 MiB  1910 KiB/s 00:01 [------------------------------------] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace kde-servicemenus-rootactions with chaotic-aur/kf6-servicemenus-rootactions? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Package (2)                               Old Version  New Version  Net Change  Download Size

kde-servicemenus-rootactions              2.9.1-2.4                  -0,07 MiB
chaotic-aur/kf6-servicemenus-rootactions               1.0.0-4        0,07 MiB       0,02 MiB

Total Download Size:    0,02 MiB
Total Installed Size:   0,07 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      -0,01 MiB

Based on my testing I would guess that the package being replaced needs to be from the same repository as the new package. Because with my repo i could not get it to replace the package installed from AUR or Chaotic AUR.


For myself and at least one other it could be removed and replaced because of dependencies.

For anyone wondering, this issue is now fixed just by updating. I didn’t have root actions before updating, but I do have them afterwards.

1 Like