Right click, root options do not work

I am not clear... When launching dolphin from terminal, does the dolphin window actually shows up?

Thank you @elloquin, he has spoken on my behalf.

1 Like

Okey, once again. My exact steps: I opened a terminal. Then i typed dolphin. Dolphin opened and then i pressed rightclick - root actions - open terminal here inside that opened dolphin window. Then this happend:

qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

I have seen that error before, this is cuz for Root it’s not assigned, or something like that.
Unfortunately my only way to troubleshoot this would be to Whoogle for that exact error msg and read a bunch of posts everywhere and try out their solutions, hoping for the best… :frowning:

It might be something related with this recent KDE change (although it is not clear to me from the final 'Update' if this is active).

Maybe this affected kde-servicemenus-rootactions, if this is what you are using.

1 Like

The root service menu actions have been limited for a very long time. KDE introduced these changes to Dolphin quite some time ago for security reasons. KDE also at the same time restricted Dolphin from being launched with sudo, root, or kdesu.

These are all security measures KDE implemented quite some time ago. Either you were running a hacked version of dolphin or you had drastically changed/elevated your user's privileges if Dolphin was allowing you to operate as root.

In the future I believe KDE is intending to integrate Dolphin fully with polkit. In the future this will allow you to perform root operations in a similar manner to the way Kate handles root authorizations now. This may still be a while before full implementation, as it is a major security concern and quite complicated.

If you prefer to use your mouse for file operations I suggest installing Midnight Commander. It is a dual pane TUI file manager with double click mouse support.

You really need to improve your search skills, as this issue has been covered a ton of times on every Linux forum since KDE introduced these security measures probably 2 years or so ago.

3 Likes

Did you switch to wayland because that looks like a wayland issue to me. Opening applications as root under wayland is a pain.

EDIT: I just tested it under plasma/wayland and it is working here although it opened in a pretty strange location.

3 Likes

The AUR package rootactions-servicemenu--which allowed those two illegal options--has been once again supplanted with (AUR) kde-servicemenus-rootactions, which rightfully does not allow those actions. It happened a couple 2-3 days ago, IIRC.

Those two actions--both easily accomplished in a different manner--if the user can be bothered to figure them out.

1 Like