Reinstall all Nvidia GPU drivers?

Hey, So I've just installed a new GPU, and I wanted to install the proprietary drivers, And I managed to screw up the drivers. I can SSH into the machine, and if I'm lucky get into "text-only mode".

Does anyone know how to completely re-install the Nvidia GTX 770 Drivers? Since I can't figure it out.

1 Like

Reinstalling them isn't going to do anything. I can't read your mind, please describe EXACTLY what you did. EVERYTHING. Including where you got the commands you ran from or how you installed them in general.

Also, where is your garuda-inxi?

3 Likes

At first i tried to install the drivers from the nvidia script (from their official website) and it complained about the open-source drivers being installed. I then had to "try" to uninstall the open-source drivers. I didn't try.

I later went into the Garuda Hardware Manager to install the proprietary drivers and the hardware manager complained about conflicts with "nvidia-something-470xx". So i went in and manually deleted the conflicts since I wanted the drivers installed. Then after it "installed" without errors it now doesn't work. Just a black screen when i boot the machine.

It DOES load, but no GPU drivers load. I can SSH into the machine, I can SOMETIMES get into "text-only mode".

And that's about what i have to tell.

1 Like

Garuda-inxi? I don't know what that is, Hence why i tagged this in newbies.

Uhm… are you sure you didn’t have them installed already? It’s time to boot and restore a snapshot.

After that you HAVE to post your garuda-inxi. Again, I’m.not.a.mind.reader. You HAVE to provide the info in the template. Open Garuda Assistant, go to the “System Specs” tab, click “copy for forum” and then post it here.

2 Likes

Welp, I'm not close to that machine's monitor right now. But I'm pretty sure I had the open-source drivers since the garuda hardware manager told me I had. And the Nvidia script told me i had and then had to uninstall the open-source drivers.

And since I don't have access to a gui, it's kind of hard to send the system specs from Garuda Assistant.

And I don't know how smart it is to get a snapshot since it's hosting a few servers that people play on, I'd assume they'd get mad if i reset their games by 3 days now.

1 Like

And i've been told that I shouldn't use 470xx for my GPU since it isn't compatible with that GPU.

And the Nvidia script told me i had and then had to uninstall the open-source drivers.

The nvidia script, the nvidia script. DON’T USE THE NVIDIA SCRIPT this isn’t windows we don’t go on websites to download software… Having both installed is not even a problem.

Why are you asking for help, then? How are you expecting us to help you? >.>’

Where are those game servers stored? If they are in your home folder (like they should be), they will not be reset. Snapshots only restore the system state, not user file state.

I am going to close this thread now. Please create a new thread with all the requested information when you are actually next to the device.

Hmm probably just run

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

The servers are stored in /etc/pufferpanel/servers. I hope that isn't going to be reset.

But yes, I'll take your advice and start a new thread when I'm at the monitor.

> 0000:02:00.0 (0300:10de:1184) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-nvidia-470xx-dkms            2022.04.01               false            PCI
video-nvidia-390xx-dkms            2020.12.07               false            PCI
           video-linux            2021.08.29                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.07.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

[root@Mathias-Linux modprobe.d]# sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
> Skipping already installed config 'video-nvidia-470xx-dkms' for device: 0000:02:00.0 (0300:10de:1184) Display controller nVidia Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 770]
[root@Mathias-Linux modprobe.d]#

Output of your command.

That won’t do anything at this point.

So you DO have terminal access? Please post your garuda-inxi then.

Yes, I do have console access. My Garuda-Inxi is: PrivateBin

FYI I didn't know that Garuda-Inxi was a command.

I'll be gone for ~30 mins and the I'll be back.
I'll be back at the server's monitor at ~21:00 CEST

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-470xx-dkms
sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-390xx-dkms

Then post the output of

pacman -Qs nvidia

This is wrong, see:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA#Installation

For the Kepler (NVE0) series (including GeForce 630-920) from around 2013-2014, install the nvidia-470xx-dkmsAUR package.

Also the Nvidia web site for your GPU points to:

Version: 470.103.01
Release Date: 2022.1.31
which for our release can be provided by the package
https://archlinux.pkgs.org/rolling/chaotic-aur-x86_64/nvidia-470xx-dkms-470.103.01-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.html
1 Like

Also most importantly check bios settings

And double check if you have inserted HDMI cable into the nvidia GPU port.

though it seems nvidia driver is not loaded from your inxi

I honestly suspect he already had the correct drivers installed.

@RealFX why/how did you come to the conclusion that they weren’t already installed?

No, no we’re not doing any half assed manual installing of packages. There is a reason we have mhwd.

I doubt any of this is relevant because he had video output before. And there is also no integrated GPU, so where else would you even plug it in?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder why :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure. Just wrong wording, I see. I was only pointing to the fact that 470xx was ok, not how to install it.

1 Like

Welp, Nvidia said that I had the open-source drivers... AND the Garuda hardware manager said I had the open-source drivers.

At this point I just want to get the GPU working...

But then again i'll probably just post again when i'm at the machine.

Who says you can’t have the open source drivers and the normal ones? I have both and yet look:

╰─λ prime-run glxinfo | grep "vendor"
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation

You have terminal access, yes?
Just follow: Reinstall all Nvidia GPU drivers? - #16 by TNE