Recent update destroyed KDE and now I can't boot. Help!

Can I somehow change my login screen from sddm to something else?

1 Like

You can get the current default configs with cp -rf /etc/skel/* ~
To clarify, did you try to downgrade SDDM? (sudo downgrade sddm)

You could as well just disable sddm (sudo systemctl disable --now sddm) and login to tty, then type startx to start the session manually

5 Likes

No, I will try downgrading

1 Like

Well I downgraded to 19.0.03 and the same issue arises. I can't even get to a tty

1 Like

Trying to disable sddm gives an error saying that System has not been booted with systemd as init system and writing cp -rf /etc/skel/* ~ gives error saying no such file or directory

1 Like

We have to do something about SDDM, try putting a warning up that tells people not to upgrade. Or something like that.

Can't I switch from SDDM to lighdm or gdm3?

1 Like

Are you able to get to a tty?

Nope but I have chrooted from a live usb

1 Like

Try

sudo pacman -S lightdm
sudo systemctl enable lightdm.service
1 Like

I just updated KDE and restarted it. Couldn't find any irregularities. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Getting an error saying failed to enable unit, file /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service already exists and is a symlink to /usr/lib/systemd/system/sddm-plymouth.service

1 Like

Oh I forgot type

sudo systemctl disable sddm-plymouth.service
1 Like

Done. I will try to reboot!

1 Like

As soon as SDDM works again (Probobly a few days from now) try to swich back, running KDE with LightDM is not reccomended. But it will have to do.

Alright! My PC is getting rebooted right now. Its stuck on a black screen but hopefully it will move past it and not be stuck like with sddm.

1 Like

Lets hope sddm did not break anything else.

Hopefully. All the breakage seems to be confined within the home directory as I reinstalled garuda (without formatting home ofcourse) and the same problem occured

1 Like

I will have to wait before relesing a beta build of kde-multimedia :frowning:

Lightdm is also not launching :frowning:

1 Like