Reboot instead of shutdown!

i realized something new! when i try to mount my windows partition with mount -v -a it says:

Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.
Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an
unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation
or fast restarting.)
Could not mount read-write, trying read-only
/run/media/shayan/Windows: successfully mounted

its a little weird ! i don't know how does windows 11 hibernation works or how do i completely turn it off but i think its related somehow!
the fast start up function and wake on lan are both turn off in windows 11

previously i removed the hard disk and booted into a live garuda os and shuted down throw there but also didn't worked, but i'm so suspicious to windows 11! because it's not the first time i'm facing its causes! previously it somehow bugged and i could't shutdown my pc(that was the reason i moved to linux and im so happy about it :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:) after that happened i reinstalled windows and installed garuda os but none could shut down! until i rested the bios ant that time it worked, this time doesn't! windows 11 confusingly mess up with hardware!

maybe that's the reason windows11 works fine! it doesn't even shutdown! it hibernates!
im going to do some research about hibernation and test few more things, i'll stay in touch. thank you all :heart: :blush:

do you also use dual boot?
i'm so suspicious its windows 11 fault!

i fully disabled windows 11 hibernation. mounting worked fine, windows still works fine, but unfortunately linux not. i'm completely out of solutions know! maybe @jonathon is right! and its just a kernel bug for old hardware's.
i may still try few other kernels. i'll let you know if i found anything.

Is fast boot disabled in Windows?

5 Likes

Ofcourse yes. Actually it was already disabled when i created the topic!

Are you using any additional/custom power management tools or settings?

2 Likes

so days have passed and there was not any new suggestion yet. so i decided to write a full guide to trying to solve this issue for others that might facing it based on my experience and thanks to all who helped me in this topic.

so, what do i think is the cause?
there is a high probability that this is a network adapter, bios, driver and kernel compatibility issue! (actually i'm almost sure about it!).

(tip: trying to shut down from a live os at first can help you figure the cause and choose the best solution)

things to try at first:
1_Update your bios if there is an update available
2_Do NOT USE ndiswrapper unless you know what you are doing (i think actually there is a high relation between my problem and the time i used ndiswrapper for just testing it out of curiosity! the problem appeared just after that).
3_Test other AUR driver packages. for intel adapters try: AUR (en) - e1000e-dkms
4_Try linux-firmware-git package.
5_reset your bios.
6_if you use dual boot with windows, make sure to to update the windows and its drivers, and try disabling Fast boot , and hibernate future and disabling the wake on lan option in windows can also work(there is a chance of windows interrupting and causing the issue).
you can also try to disable the allow the computer to turn off this device to save power from your adapter properties in windows device manager or disabling the adapter temporary to see what happens.

and if none of the above fixed your problem there is other time consuming options to do at last that there is high chance they will fix your problem:
1_updating/switching your kernel. here are the kernel recommendations:

linux-lts
linux-mainline
linux-hardened
linux-next-git

2_you can try reinstalling your OS. (if shutting down from a live os worked, this should fix, otherwise not)

3_ and finally the last option you should try is disabling the wake-on-lan and power on by PCIE from bios options. this even worked for me, but i didn't consider it a solution because i needed the feature. (best option to do if you just don't need the WOL option)

so how to deal with it if none could satisfy you like me?
The sleep option :slight_smile: ! there is nothing wrong with it and i have been using it since i faced this issue. this problem is usually for old hardwares, it might get fixed in new kernel updates, but sleeping your pc instead of shut down is ok until then.

3 Likes

Hi there @ShayanMalmir.

You were recently warned on the Arch Linux forum that it was against the Arch forum rules, (that you agreed to when registering) to post issues from a distro other than Arch on the Arch forum. You had already opened this help request on our forum, yet you felt you had to violate the Arch forum rules by opening the same help request there.

I will be monitoring these rules violations very carefully in the future and any Garuda forum members caught violating the Arch forum rules will be called on the carpet for it here. You could suffer repercussions to your Garuda forum membership if this behavior persists, Do not post any Garuda help issues on the Arch Linux forum as this reflects very poorly on Garuda when our members are caught violating the Arch rules against this.

This is a formal warning.

Absolutely, and forum members who have/do run Arch or Arch-based distributions for a certain period of time know this, but…

I would think that more a function of the Arch forums. It doesn’t take their forum moderators very long at all to sniff out posers, and they handle them very nicely on their own. I know you see that too. Don’t you think you wear enough hats as it is, my friend. :slight_smile:

Well, they’ll certainly be permanently banned in the Arch forums, which may have the intended effect of directing them straight back here. You see that, and I see that, every time their moderators will state…“please consult your own distribution’s help resources/forums,” or some similar warning. It’s only when the poster persists that their moderators take action.

Come to think of it, they do in their forums exactly what you and other moderators/owners do here, don’t they? Maybe we should let them take care of their business and we take care of our own? Might messaging the “offenders” be a better solution than outright threats? Why not take care of that kind of business in private?

Your “formal warning” has triggered the hairs on the back of my neck. It’s fascist. I know you don’t mean to be, and I know how flustered and frustrated you get with this topic. I’ve been there a time or two. It’s a feeling of powerlessness. But I do not and will never agree with your solution to overcoming this personal obstacle.

This reply is made in public, here, to your formal warning. I hope you let it remain so that others may read and decide for themselves. Words have power.

And I hope you change your mind. I know you! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Please anonymize my posts and membership.

I appreciate your feedback @Bro, and here’s my thoughts on your assessment of this issue.

Unfortunately, whispering our wishes in the dark to members accomplishes almost nothing. Garuda has included instructions to post an inxi output on each help request template for ages. Rarely was the policy ever read or paid attention to. It wasn’t until we started outright locking threads that people got the message and an inxi -Faz has finally started to become the accepted norm on the forum. The reason sadly, is that without enforcement, rules are rarely ever followed. That is why this issue needs to be dealt with before it gets fully out of control.

Regarding why these issues were not simply brought to the users in private, there are several reasons. This situation is somewhat similar to posting different speed limits on sections of our roadways. People need to be prominently and publically informed of what the local rules are. Again, (similar to our public roadways), if the rules are not enforced with penalties, then the rules are completely ignored. I am likely going to post a sticky to the top of the “Newbie” section informing new users that it is not permitted to take Garuda support issues to the Arch forum.

Recently I have noticed at least one of our forum members per week for the last three weeks having their posts binned on the Arch forum. So this has become a weekly occurance of late on the Arch forum. I assume, (again somewhat similar to speeding tickets) that only a minority are ever ever caught in the act and that many more are in actuality violating their rules.

IMO this has recently started to become far too prevalent that our members are bringing Garuda issues to the Arch forum. Everyone on the team here has a great respect for Arch and the Arch support team on their forum. We would not like to see our reationship with Arch soured because our users are constantly abusing the rules on their forum. This has recently become a weekly thing on the Arch forum and I do not want to see this escalate into a daily occurance. I imagine our distro is not going to be looked at very favorably by the Arch forum support staff if that begins to happen.

That is why I felt the issue needed to be addressed in a public way now, to let people know this behaviour will not be tolerated. Again, like speeding on our roadways, most people don’t stick to the speed limit only in their home town. Chronic speeders simply ignore the rules wherever they go. That is why we have public signs on our roadways and penalties for those that simply refuse to follow the rules (at home and while travelling). Publicizing this policy is to let people know that disobeying the rules elsewhere may result in a moderator calling you on the carpet for it here.

Well enough of my never ending driving analogies, but you know how I love them. The gist being, this situation is becoming far to prevalent and something substantive needs to be done about it now. Our users need to respect the rules here and on the Arch forum, as this reflects very poorly on Garuda if our users flaunt the rules wherever they go.

I hope that explains my viewpoint and you can understand why the issue is being dealt with in this manner. A warning is not a serious issue on our forum unless you disregard moderators warnings repeatedly. Therefore, an official warning does not seem out of line for these infractions IMO.

Others may differ and of course YMMV. Sorry, I had to get one last car analogy in there. :smile:

If you wish to discuss this matter more fully, feel free to bring the issue up in the members lounge where it can be discussed in depth.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Asking for help should never be a sin, even if a bit misguided. But you run this joint and you make the rules.

I believe I overreacted to your overreaction, but enough said. We've been friends for awhile; we can differ. After figuratively taking a walk, I am back and my focus has shifted to having a more positive attitude! :slight_smile:

So happy frickin' holidays.