Qtile multiple monitor easy config tutorial

This is for a basic 2 monitor setup within 2 minutes.

1. Plug in both monitors
  2. do xrandr, it will tell you the names and available "modes" (resolutions) for both
  3. issue a xrandr command with the appropriate details, for example
    xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode --noprimary --right-of DP1
  4. after this, restart Qtile (default win+shift+r)

And you'll have multimonitor, and its pretty good already (the interface is diff from dwm, but I kinda like it, basically think of it as having 10 workspaces, and being able to see any of them on any monitor). No need for config.py hacking or xorg.conf etc.

Hope this saves somebody an hour or two.

4 Likes

I believe the standard config creates 2 ideantical screens, so with 2 monitors, everything should work.
There are no default bindings for switching monitors though, they can be added (e.g.):

Key([mod], "w", lazy.to_screen(0)),
Key([mod], "e", lazy.to_screen(1)),
1 Like

Most people don't use multi monitor setup including me, so I think it don't makes sense to include keybindings for that in default config. Anyway Thanks for this :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Anyone has any luck with a configuration where one of the monitors is a high DPI monitor and the other is standard? I can’t get app windows (e.g firefox or terminal) to appear normal size on both screens (one is always larger than the other)…

Please don’t necro old Issues & Assistance threads. If you have an issue, start a new thread.