Problems to remove deepin desktop environment

Hello I tried deepin DE. And it was not as in Deepin OS and i switched back to gnome. I tried to uninstall it but it shows dependencies and dont uninstall. When I try it shows the following.

sudo pacman -R deepin

checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-album
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-boot-maker
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-calculator
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-camera
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-clipboard
:: removing deepin-file-manager breaks dependency 'deepin-file-manager' required by deepin-clone
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-clone
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-compressor
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-draw
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-editor
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-font-manager
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-movie
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-music
:: removing deepin-desktop-schemas breaks dependency 'deepin-desktop-schemas' required by deepin-mutter
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-picker
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-printer
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-reader
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-screen-recorder
:: removing deepin-turbo breaks dependency 'deepin-turbo' required by deepin-screen-recorder
:: removing deepin-screensaver breaks dependency 'deepin-screensaver' required by deepin-screensaver-pp
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-terminal
:: removing deepin-qt5integration breaks dependency 'deepin-qt5integration' required by deepin-voice-note
:: removing deepin-desktop-base breaks dependency 'deepin-desktop-base' required by dtkcore

What should I do now

Use last working snapshot before you change to unsupported deepin,

6 Likes

sudo pacman -Rnc

3 Likes

You can’t remove a DE with pacman -R

Your best best is to use pacman -Rc, however, removing a DE is a high risk operation. It is possible you can remove either components of other DEs or even more so make sure you carefully review the package list it presents you to remove and you are OK with it.

If you have a snapshot you can revert to, @sgs’s solution is better

5 Likes
   -c, --cascade
       removes all target packages as well as all packages that depend on one or more target
       or more destination packets. This operation is recursive and should be
       should be used with caution, as it could remove many potentially
       potentially needed packages could be removed.

Just

-Rn or Rns
2 Likes

Actually --cascade is what works in this case. Even -Rns doesn't work if some something breaks dependency.

But safer (or safest) solution is restoring snapshot.

Edit: Also, I don't think any Garuda- or Arch-specific package has deepin as a dependency, so it should not break anything.

5 Likes

You broke it you fix it.

That is why we tell people not to use unsupported installation methods. Why should a distro developer need to tell you to roll back your system using timeshift. If you can't figure that out on out on your own you definitely shouldn't be messing with stuff like this. If you insist on playing with things you shouldn't, then at least take responsibility for your actions and learn how to fix it yourself. We provided you with a working system you decided to break it by installing an unsupported desktop.

Either don't do that, or learn to correct your errors if you wish to experiment with your system.

We provided you with a system with 350 horsepower turbo engine and you decided to swap in a lawnmower engine. Doesn't seem like this is a problem we are responsible for now does it.

8 Likes

How about painstakingly removing each of those listed packages one by one, or in whichever order that works.
The only problem in your case is that it is trying to remove packages in a wrong order, where for example deepin-qt5integration is needed by many others, so should be removed after them.

Use

sudo pacman -Qqe > package-list.txt

to make a list of all your installed packages and then

cat package-list.txt | grep deepin

to see the packages with the word deepin.
Although, there will be some packages like dtkcore which don't have the name deepin in them which still need to be removed, but there shouldn't be too many.

Like @tbg said, next time you should know enough to clean up a mess which you created.

Good luck! :wink:

2 Likes

While I suppose you could do that, that seems like a much more complicated approach then letting the package manager handle it for you…

2 Likes

Please elaborate.
pacman tries to remove it in the wrong order, therefore OP has asked.

That isn’t the issue. The OP used pacman -R which is removing the packages it was requested to remove but not the dependencies. Because of that, it fails. It wasn’t caused by package removal order.

In this case, we use pacman -Rc which basically says “remove these packages and anything that gets in the way of that removal.”

4 Likes

I would suggest

sudo pacman -Rnsc deepin

To remove all the

1. n -> Configurations
  2. s -> Dependency not required by other package
  3. c -> Packages dependent on it (like the above Packages)

Now, you can decide which option(s) to use.

9 Likes

Removing packages

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/pacman#Removing_packages

2 Likes

That's the way I learn. I was curious to see that's why. It's rude you are talking to a newbie like that. I should have remembered the timeshift. But it is not only the way. People are telling me different ways.

Thank you very much.

If you think my comments were rude then perhaps your expectations are out of line. I will go back to my car analogy again. Say you just bought yourself a nice shiny new car and started wrenching on everything in the engine compartment until you fully broke your new engine as an experiment in learning. Would you expect to take your car back to the dealership and have them repair the disaster you created for free under warranty.

If you wouldn’t consider that a reasonable expectation, then why do you expect unpaid distro volunteers to repair something for you that you deliberately dismantled as a learning experiment.

If that’s the way you want to learn, then do it, but learn the lessons on your own. Don’t expect others to reassemble the mess you made deliberately yourself. This breakage was not the distros doing, it was yours. Man up and accept some responsibility for your own actions when you shoot yourself in the foot.

Don’t put it on others to make your experiments gone wrong right.

Sorry if you think that’s being rude, but I consider your inflated expectations rude IMO.

3 Likes

This post smacks of Vampirism.

It fits it to a tee.

3 Likes

All of the answers here could have been found through a search on the internet, or man pacman. or just reading archwiki.
I agree with @tbg . And @Bro.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.