Plasma Widgets not working

Hello,
For a few days I am encountering a issue with my desktop.
Every time I start my PC there is this ugly wallpaper and no widgets or icons are showing.
Also I am turning off PC by the terminal because power buttons from application launcher are gone.

Please help me :slight_smile:

Last time this happened to me, I had accidentally logged in as "guest".

Make sure you can read and write to the files in ~/.config/plasma-workspace

If that's correct, you'll probably have to restore ~/.config/plasma-workspace from backup.

3 Likes

In ~/.config/plasma-workspace I have two folders (env and shutdown)
Both are empty and I have read and write access there

My apologies. I misremembered. The files are in the ~/.config directory, and are:

• plasma_calendar_astronomicalevents (calendar settings for various widgets)
  • plasma_calendar_holiday_regions (calendar settings for various widgets)
  • plasma-dataengine-extsysmon.conf (Widget access to system info settings)
  • plasma.emojierrc (I dunno.)
  • plasma-localerc (Language/numerics settings)
  • plasma-nm (Network Manager settings)
  • plasmanotifyrc (Notifications setting)
  • plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc Every other setting - desktop settings (including wallpaper and wallpaper engine) widget placement, size, specific options, etc) :arrow_left: This is the really important one.

Infrequently, plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc can be corrupted. If you have read/write to it, and it's there, then restore from backup is your best tack.

4 Likes

Just check your user name :man_shrugging:

whoami
pwd
... etc...
4 Likes

Everything there looks OK.

Also I forgot to mention that I am not able to add widgets to my desktop.
Every time I click on the desktop and chose add Widget... nothing hapend.

Let me just try with my usual couple of dumb suggestions :blush:

1. Try restore default settings from Garuda assistant
  2. Create a new user and check how it looks like
2 Likes
  1. Doesn't help. I was setting it back on until now.

2. New user is working without problem. But when I log back into my main it is broken again.

Also I noticed that my PC is starting extremely slow now. It was booting up within a few seconds and now it is more than minute.

Well, with 2. I actually meant to see if it was working and then use the new user, transfering the relevant files.
I understand you'd have to reconfigure a lot of things, but at least you have a backup solution...

1 Like

This can become your opportunity to learn more about how linux and kde work.
If you donโ€™t have time for that, just use the new user.

Do not forget, when using sudo/root power to administer your system, you need to be responsible, having read relevant manuals, wikis etc., or it is not unexpected to break your system. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

As @petsam has intimated if you have messed something by using root when you shouldn't, you could try resetting all permissions to the default in your home user directory.

Just a thought.

3 Likes