Pipewire-jack and Jack2 Conflict

Is there a Gui for Snapper like with Timeshift and the ability to show the Snapper snapshots on the Grub menu like you can with Timeshift?

Actually this system apparently failed on my installation. When audio was gone, Latte Dock crashed and the pipewire/jack2 conflict showed up (I'm still in the same situation) I tried to restore a snapshot from the previous day but thins weren't any different... :confused:

So I'd like to ask, what exactly is the difference between update and garuda-update? Also, should we not be relying on pamac for updates if we are using it?

╭─tne@tne in ~ 
 ╰─λ ls -l /usr/bin/{garuda-,}update
.rwxr-xr-x 4,8k root 21 Jan 11:46  /usr/bin/garuda-update
lrwxrwxrwx   22 root 21 Jan 11:46  /usr/bin/update -> /usr/bin/garuda-update

They're the same thing :stuck_out_tongue:
And yes, you should be using garuda-update/update instead of pamac.

3 Likes

Good. This is one of the truths about Arch & Arch-based rolling-release model distributions that users new to them tend to learn by doing. And that’s okay. (Did you ever wonder how they run human trials on new poisons?) :wink:

Sometimes, fortunately, we can also learn by observing. Thank you for providing this teachable moment. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just run the update command to get past the jack issue. If you want more assistance, then you will have to provide logs.
And if you mean latte-dock doesn't show up anymore, that's a different issue and can be solved by resetting its config files. You can search this up on the forum, there are plenty of threads about it.

3 Likes

Let me search for you in Garuda Wiki :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you.
I ran the garuda-update yesterday, still I've just run It and I got some package upgrades.
I provided some info here in this topic: here
Anyway the problem is not solved, I can't install jack2 due to a conflict with pipewire-jack.

I'm not sure what logs I need to provide though

Why do you want to install jack2? Pipewire-jack replaces jack2.

So, if you have Jack2 and any dependencies that "require" it, you can still switch out Jack2 for Pipewire-Jack by doing the following;

sudo pacman -Rdd jack2

This skips the dependency check. In my case I had 138 dependencies that would not let me remove Jack2. After running that command, then following it with;

sudo pacman -S Pipewire-Jack

It worked, the switch was made...and no issues. Lastly, if you still have 'lib32-Jack2' installed, you can remove it. For me it had a dependency of 'Wineasio', (Audio Jack for Wine.) I let it uninstall that and then reinstalled it which prompted me to choose the new 'lib32-pipewire-jack' as its dependency instead. All is now good.

1 Like

I have no particular simpathy for jack2 but when I uninstalled it I was warned that more than some apps were depending on it (like telegram, and thunderbird if I recall). So I thought I might keep it even though It does "the same" job as pipewire-jack.
@RodneyCK
I also have packages depending on pipewire-jack anyway.

Also, most importantly actually, sound is not working. It stopped working when I unplugged my USB headset, after which even speakers are not detected anymore, so I wanted to test if this could be the cause; honestly I don't think so, but It's still a path.

Thanks guys for your support!

1 Like

To anyone still facing this issue and coming to this forum thread later, here is how you solve this issue:

First method:
Open Garuda Assistant, select System Update, type in your password and finish the system update as you would normally.

Second method:
Open a terminal, execute the command update, type in your password and let it finish the system update.

Just clearing this up because the previous posts in this thread are causing a lot of confusion. The update or garuda-update command are the preferred method to updating your Garuda Linux system.

7 Likes

This is preferred over doing yay -Syu? for all updates?

Yes…

You also don’t need to do yay -Syu just yay is needed save yourself a few keystrokes.

4 Likes

What does update / garuda-update do vs using pacman/yay to update the system "better"? Watching term it just looks like it refreshes mirrors first.

1 Like

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Rosetta

1 Like

Yes, you'd do UPDATE_AUR=1 update to update AUR packages.

2 Likes

Garuda-update is a custom script that allows us to add custom fixes that would be impossible to apply via pure pacman.
For example, it fixes this conflict automatically.
In addition, like you said, it also updates the mirrorlist automatically, updates your keyrings and applies any hotfixes that need to be done in advance.

5 Likes

I love shit stuff like that. It is what differentiates yet another Linux spin from a real distribution.
:slight_smile:

7 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Installing jack2 breaks dependency lib32-jack2