Performance Loss after Update

As mentioned, disabling/removing any installed extensions is good to check. In general, I've found this guide here on the Garuda forum very useful, and it might be relevant enough to be worth digging through. Could be something kernel or NVIDIA related, which that linked guide has some steps for.

Anecdotally, I found switching to running GNOME under Wayland not only fixed some of my issues, but also led to noticeably increased performance for GNOME. I think based on that inxi output you're already on Wayland though, but it could be worth comparing the two? That's not really based on anything though.

Worth noting that I'm on a fresh install from the latest 03/29 .iso as of today after some messy issues (mostly of my own fault) with my previous garuda-gnome install. Your system configuration is definitely different, but I am on the latest available packages and not facing performance issues.

Also, are you using any of the performance/powersave tweaks available from the Garuda Assistant? It might be worth reviewing or fiddling with those to see if they yield any particular changes.

On the specific packages front I don't think I can provide any insight. In general though, it's been my experience with the wider world of Arch and Arch-based distros that letting a system get out of date and having to do really extensive upgrades like that has the tendency to break things. Unfortunately, partial upgrades can also be bad for their own reasons, as cautioned against on the Garuda Wiki.

If I've said anything particularly incorrect here please let me know. While I'm far from new to Linux, I am relatively new to Garuda, and I'm Just dropping this here since I've done a wealth of troubleshooting on the distro over the past couple days.

5 Likes