Pamac wants to update Proton-Ge-Custom

I ran into something similar. When you open a terminal and update AUR via 'Yay -Syu' (the method the Arch wiki recommends to update AUR) it said I had updates, which none of the other methods had, including Garuda-update, or Bauh. So then I looked closer at the exact packages it wanted me to update and notice it was trying switch a few packages that were either from the Arch repos or Garuda-Aur repos to those in AUR. Not sure why it chose those few (I think 5) packages to switch, but I stopped updating AUR this way.

I just use Bauh which seems to work for all; Arch/Aur/Flatpack, etc. , and if there are major system updates, I will then use Garuda-update instead. It is all very strange.

Edit to add: I do know why it wanted me to switch those packages, because those 5 packages were more updated in AUR than they were in Arch/Garuda-Aur. To me, that is kind of dangerous switching packages to AUR.

1 Like

How are you trying to install it?
Try via terminal with
sudo pacman -S bauh
Its even in the Chaotic-AUR so things should go smoothly.

(By the way, if it ever asks about adding snapd / Snap package support, I would suggest to not use them. Arch based systems tend to not like Snaps that much)

2 Likes

We're having issues building that at the moment, but it will be back!

2 Likes

Couldn't agree more!

1 Like

Ok the installation succeeded this time

Can I add Chaotic-AUR to Bauh?

EDIT: OK, I just found that is already included!!!

1 Like

It should already be active by default as long as you have the chaotic-aur repos added to your system.

3 Likes

Probably not unless you really need something that's not back in Chaotic-AUR yet. If you do, it should probably be after running garuda-update so any fixes can be applied, and you get a fresh mirrorlist. If you don't see something from garuda-update it's almost definitely got some reason behind it.

We are trying to get a lot of missing packages built still. Feel free to post new issues here for anything that doesn't exist at the moment. Do check for existing ones that we're currently tracking :slight_smile:

Exactly.

3 Likes

https://github.com/chaotic-aur/packages/issues/2086

3 Likes

I didn't know you could add updating AUR via Garuda-Update, thanks. Question though, will I run into the same issue that if a package in AUR is more up to day, it will try and replace it with the same package I have installed from Arch/Chaotic-AUR?

1 Like

I haven't ran into that issue so I'm not completely sure, but given the wording "Update AUR packages via paru/yay after system update." I assume it does it for packages that were installed via the AUR exclusively.

1 Like

I just tested it and those 5 packages I got by updating AUR via yay -Syu did not show up when I added updating AUR to garuda-update, so I think it is good.

Thanks!!

2 Likes

SO, If i just use garuda-update without '-a', I'm good to go and thats probably all I need when I'm using this distro?

1 Like

And one more thing,

If proton-GE-custom will be in Chaotic-AUR at anytime in the future, will "garuda-update" replace AUR package with the same one from Chaotic-AUR?

1 Like

Generally yes. If you have something installed from the AUR that isn't available from Chaotic, consider requesting it via GitHub, or use -a and rely on building it yourself.

Not right away because Chaotic would provide the same package version that you have locally, but the next version would replace it.

EDIT: You can do pacman -Qm in the future to make sure that there are no packages you're building yourself needlessly.

4 Likes

Thanks, a lot!!!

1 Like

wine-ge-custom-1:GE.Proton7.34-1 is done compiling!

3 Likes

Was offered this yesterday and after building for what seemed like for ever it crashed the terminal and then the system. Luckily even though there were almost 800 megs in updates on reboot the system wasn't messed up and the couple of updates that didn't get done before the crash were done without issue. I then removed proton-ge-custom.

My two cents. Launch pamac, update the databases, check to see what updates you have, launch terminal and use garuda-update.

1 Like

ok, this is the second time. yesterday (Nov 7) when garuda-update was run it updated/rebuilt proton-ge-custom, and again this morning it is building it again. yesterday i installed/built the dependencies needed via pamac(gui) and didn't have any further issues playing steamgames last night.

Adding my two cents ...again. I was always skeptical of using Proton-GE-Custom. I mean I get the convenience of having an automated update to Proton GE, but at the same time it is kind of risky especially if you have a game installed/built-around a certain proton ge version. There is no guarantee the next version will be compatible...and this auto method forces the game to be updated with the latest Proton GE version.

It is the reason I update all my proton version manually via ProtonUp-QT app, which allows you to leave the old version installed and install the latest.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.