Pamac says "No Package Found"

thank you, but i just didn't understand the "instruction"

If pacman -Syu “doesn’t work” then post the output from running the command as text as a reply here. Copy and paste it as Naman said above.

Copy and paste the text from the terminal. You select the text. You right-click and select Copy. You right-click and select Paste. Same approach you’d use for any and all graphical operating systems.

5 Likes

Some terminals may not support this :wink:. crtl+shift+v in that case to paste and crtl+shift+c to copy

5 Likes

Can this be a symptom of this bug?

3 Likes

Not a fix at all, but pamac isn't the only GUI package manager that can be used with Garuda.

If you are a KDE user Discover or Octopi are also good choices for a GUI package manager. Pamac is not the only game in town, there are other good alternatives available.

7 Likes

For me at least, yes, searching finds packages but nothing in browse

Try what the bug reporter used to workaround.

4 Likes

Hi, I am new to Garuda Linux and to this forum. As I am experiencing the same problem as the OP I searched the forum, came across this thread and tried the suggested CL. This is the output:

File: /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
################################################################################
################# Arch Linux mirrorlist generated by Reflector #################
################################################################################

# With:       reflector --country Germany --latest 5 --age 2 --fastest 5 --protocol https --sort rate --save /
etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
# When:       2021-04-17 17:19:49 UTC
# From:       h ttps://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/json/
# Retrieved:  2021-04-17 17:19:34 UTC
# Last Check: 2021-04-17 16:41:30 UTC

Server = h ttps://mirror.f4st.host/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
Server = h ttps://mirror.chaoticum.net/arch/$repo/os/$arch
Server = h ttps://mirror.pkgbuild.com/$repo/os/$arch
Server = h ttps://mirror.pseudoform.org/$repo/os/$arch
Server = h ttps://phinau.de/arch/$repo/os/$arch
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community                               5.5 MiB  4.11 MiB/s 00:01 [------------------------------------] 100%
multilib is up to date
chaotic-aur is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
there is nothing to do

Going back to the Add/Remove Software dialog still shows "No Package Found" message. It makes no difference whether the Software Mode is on or off.
What else can I do?
PS: I had to fubar the links to the servers mentioned in the output in order to post this

You wouldn’t need to if you have used the proper format.
How to Write a nicely formatted post in Discourse/Forum

As explained in above posts, this is a Pamac bug, which means that Pamac developer can only fix this.
You may contribute/discuss at Pamac bug tracker, if you want a better workaround or solution.

2 Likes

Learning to use pacman in the terminal is probably the best way you can do updates in the most stable manner.

Or, if you prefer a GUI, I have already stated:

4 Likes

Ok, thanks for correcting my post and putting the proper formatting around it. Next time I will be more careful, and hope any URIs are not counted against the max number allowed.

Also thanks for confirming that it is (still) a bug - I was confused by someone providing a workaround which in my case didn't work.

I am using the Add/Remove Software button the Garuda Welcome screen so conveniently provides. Thanks for making this easy for me as a linux noob. And for updates Pacman works for me so far in the GUI or in the terminal.
Given that the Garuda Dragonized version uses KDE Plasma I am wondering why the standard package manager is Pacman and not Discover or Octopi if they work better or at least don't have that bug.

As I said before I came across Garuda very recently and I like it very much.

Unfortunately, the naming is confusing.

Pacman is a programm that you run in the terminal (CLI).
What is used as add software in the Welcome is pamac (GUI).
A graphical user interface that uses pacman but does not always work without errors. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

PamaACKKK! <--better name

5 Likes

What a difference a 'c' makes :smiley:

Thanks for the explanation! Will see how Discover or Octopi work for me. I am ok with CLI for certain things but prefer the GUI. In particular when browsing for software.

Reinstall: archlinux-appstream-data. It works for me.

2 Likes

Octopi is awesome. Been using it for years. Qt.

Topgrade makes me feel warm-and-fuzzy in the terminal.

1 Like

I gave up on Discover as it was super bug filled for the longest time, but now I'm taking a shine to it. With my eyesight I actually find it far better than pamac for browsing software. Just way easier looking for stuff with far more info presented in an easy to read fashion.

I use pacman though for package management, GUI's are just not as reliable for updating the system IMO.

3 Likes

I'm satisfied with paru's -Si and -s functions for now, although they were a little confusing at the start as -si searches&installs the package, whereas -Si gives you info about only one package if you didn't mistyped the name

2 Likes

Btw, be careful with installing packages through the GUI, sometimes it just breaks. And DO NOT open two package managers/frontends at the same time. I still have flashbacks from the first time I opened Discover and apt on Linux Mint...

2 Likes

The problem with Discover (in PinePhone, I think the same in PC too except aspect ratio), while installing a package it doesn't ask for optional dependencies, it directly installs.

New bug in Pamac: Refresh databases sucks.