PAMAC is not for me

am i only one who uninstalls snap and pamac after installing garuda and install flatpak and packagekit appstream....

That's the best thing about open source, do what works for you.
For me I choose not to use snap, flatpak or packagekit. :wink:

5 Likes

Why do you want to remove pamac :sweat_smile:
Though snap is nothing but trash, yet I think pamac is good enough for regular usage.

2 Likes

i use source for installing applications... and i like to keep my distro lightweight with less apps and software center

I mark it solved. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interestingly, my first Arch-based distro had Pamac installed - and I found it difficult to use/understand. Learned pacman and yay instead (just a lot of info - no oddities) and have since removed pamac :frowning_face: (it could have been good...)

1 Like

While i dont use Pamac to actually Install things i find it useful for finding out dependencies or installed files of a package, also searching for packages. Yes that can be done via command line as well but i find Pamac to be more comfortable for these purposes.

5 Likes

I use Octopiā€“since Imma Plasma kinda guyā€“for about the same purposes, but not their (or anybody elseā€™s) systemd updates checker/notifier. I usually donā€™t need it after doing a new installation w/applicationsā€“not many subsequent changesā€“and may or maynot keep it around afterwards. Either way, it takes up no system resources other than a tiny bit of disc space.

Iā€™ve used PAMAC with GNOME installs but think the amount of page flipping to yield info on opt deps is frigging ridiculous.

A brief visit to the ArchWiki or a terminal query usually tells me enough general info about unfamiliar packages.

7 Likes

I generally like Pamac. I might use pamac for the odd single package install here or there but never for system updates. I pretty much use the terminal for all updates and most installs.

Pamac is great for searching, and finding information about various packages. Itā€™s a great app for finding software you didnā€™t know existed.

All the containerized apps are nothing but space wasters. Snaps being the worst as it is pretty much spyware (at least by my definition).

If you want to keep your system lean then you should be installing via a proper package manager (pacman) and using the AUR for any optional packages. What you are doing will only lead to issues down the road IMO.

Installing all your apps from source is not what Arch is about, use Gentoo if thatā€™s what youā€™re into. You want pacman to be managing all your installed packages and their dependencies.

Sticking to the methods Arch recommends is usually best, although using an AUR helper like yay is mighty handy. I think you should attempt to adapt to the way Arch was designed to work, not try to reshape Arch into the distro youā€™ve used in the past. Just my opinion, but Iā€™m sticking to it. :wink:

5 Likes

Funny that you mention it, installed it yesterday for the first time in months when the KDE mood hit me and I reinstalled kde barebones over GNOME :raised_hands:

I also installed fish and paru as aur helper to actually Install stuff. Works pretty well so far :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I find I like Octopi for a few features, but I prefer fer pamac for most others. I often keep both installed for that reason, but I currently only have pamac installed.

I will be installing Octopi shortly to test if it will work properly with a hook I'm attempting to write enhance update notifications during the install process.

1 Like

not all softwares but few... pacman is my primary option... if pacman fails then aur wiki

1 Like

what i'm trying to say is i like CLI more than GUI

1 Like

Glad to hear it, but you should try to avoid installing from source unless it's absolutely necessary.

1 Like

not everything.... but thats for sure....

Is it possible you mean that you download the PKGBUILD and install it with makepkg -s, or do you mean you download and then install the local package with pacman -U?

As regards your methods, I view it as being a part of using Arch day-to-day: Sometimes a user needs specific applications to do what they need to do, so they use the methods they need to use to install specific packages. Sometimes the operator needs more than a ā€˜package storeā€™ or ā€˜pacman -Sā€™.

But, still, the most commnon method with Arch-based distros remains ā€œpacman -Sā€.

regards to all

P.S. Hell, I carry around a couple source packages in various builds in my hip pocket. You never know what you might be running. :wink:

1 Like

i use makepkg -si PKGBUILD

1 Like

My apologies I did not think that was the method you were using.

3 Likes