Oh my zod, I did it

I re-installed Garuda.

I finally, really did it.

Spent a week going over what apps, utilities, tweaks and dæmons I'd need to manually install.

Now in that phase where I discover how much I didn't remember. Just going along by keyboard habit only to see zsh/Plasma say "What?" :laughing:

For the greatest ease when doing a re-install or any big work on your system, remember the three pillars of computing:

1. Backup
  2. Backup
  3. Backup
13 Likes

Did you run rm on root folder?

2 Likes

Nice to see you back here on a regular basis @anon72786180. Try not to let the crusty old guys here on the forum rub you the wrong way. We're mostly all harmless, but we were written in COBOL (or some other totally obsolete programming language), and there's no hope of changing the code at this late stage in the game. :wink:

7 Likes

Um… I did! :crazy_face: I ran an rm -r on rooty, with a certain switch (I shall not speak its name here) that lets rm do real nasty damage.

Because it's fun to be naughty. :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

Probably written in Ada. Few people understand you, but you’re far too useful to get rid of. :laughing:

7 Likes

next time run this as root:
:warning: DO NOT RUN THIS UNTIL YOU WANT TO DESTROY YOUR OS :warning:

Are You Sure? (Y/n)
dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/<YOUR_ROOT_DRIVE_HERE> bs=1M

5 Likes

Great assessment of the necessary steps to take, our newcomers may take notes! :smiley:

7 Likes

If #s 2 and 3 are "Offsite Backup" then yes!

1 Like

/dev/random is spicier. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Wadumeeeeeeen?
I store all my backups in floppy disks and put them with a magnet on the fridge :grimacing:

What I do for my private data:

1. Backup on a 5TB Drive split into 1TB partitions for different type of backups (Linux/Windows/Phone)
  2. Sync this Data to a remote endpoint (little add - in my case Hetzner Storage Box since 5TB for 12.97€/m is a steal)
  3. Once a Year: Disaster Recovery Day: A Backup is only good if it works. I am testing my backups and strategies once a year against a shot gun to the disk approach. Nuke all Data and then restore.

@Catra
Yea /dev/random is better for real format but for a fast system nuke /dev/null is faster :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Backup #1: Back-out
Snapshots like Snapper does. Protects from bungles and mistakes that hobble your system without destroying it.

Backup #2: Oh, wasn't that… oh no.
Data/information written to a medium that can sit on a shelf. Best if older versions are kept around. Protects the point of having computers in the first place, doing stuff.

Backup #3: Outa sight!
Data/information and system images kept somewhere other than the same place the computer is. As it allows for recovery of everything (once the hardware is fixed or replaced) it protects against fires, tornadoes, missile strikes, kids with jam and toast, and visits from M.O.D.O.K.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Quite progressive, even back then, no disturbing cables on the guitars or the keyboard,
everything via Bluetooth or WLAN :wink: :smiley:

7 Likes

And what do we say to the Gods of Backup?

Not today!

:rofl:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.