Off Topic Chit Chat - (Silliness factor 5)

#The girl of the neighbour enters my study room while I am working
girl : Wow , so cool dude
me : Thanks for the complement
girl : I am not talking about you stupid!! I am talking about your laptop
me : (The very next moment on DuckDuckGo ): how to destroy windows 10 in any PC remotely

4 Likes

( Net upgrade size -615.62 ! )

Ok, so does it means that machines also do dieting ? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Hello. I am planning to try a tiling window manager instead of KDE. I just can't decide which one.
What do you experienced tiling window manager users recommend?

• Sway
  • BSPWM
  • i3
  • Xmonad
  • awesome
  • Qtile

0 voters

For beginners best is i3 WM if you use awesome then it's almost like a DE and if you are a wayland fan than sway is best for you as it's i3' s alternative but other WM like Xmonad or BSPWM if you want to use then i think you should have already some knowledge about WM .
That's all what i think.

2 Likes

Basically agree - they can be intimidating as you will be faced with a blank screen by a few of them! You need to know a bit before starting them in those cases. You may need to know a scripting or programming language for some of them too (Awesome=>lua DWM=>C) which can be a barrier. Good luck!

Oh - and some of them work well WITH a DE and/or switchable - i3 and xfce are a good combo for instance. Prepare for a trip down a rabbit hole of research/learning/configuring...

2 Likes

but quite frankly... what's the deal with all these reviews looking at the installation, the default skin, and calling it a day?

Why aren't any reviews talking about the performance considerations, file system and snapshots considerations, stability considerations, and comparing it to other Arch distros? That would actually be useful.

And the range of services that you offer here, perhaps you could advertise it more. Not a single review mentioned any of it.

Having a clean/modern distro website is a big plus, makes me trust the devs more to polish the details. I personally wouldn't try a distro whose website looks like it came out of the 90's.

4 Likes

Maybe because most youtubers want to gobble money at fastest rate possible. If they actually learn technicalities, their speed of making profits will decrease. Obviously, it is a very bad practice.

Okk, I will see it again if I want to add them.

:blush:

4 Likes

I think this is true for me also because before using Garuda I didn’t thought that I would ever be talking to devs about their distro and learning through them more about linux :wink:

4 Likes

A nice homepage does not make a good operating system/distribution.
Sample
https://archlinux.org/ :wink:

Garuda Linux existed before @Naman made our simple website so beautiful.

Good things attract each other. :grin:

8 Likes

Not enough pretty picture,s on archlinux.org :rofl: :rofl: where would our artwork go @SGS :rofl:

3 Likes

They would go into the trash. :grin:

2 Likes

Har har har har! I guess that may be true? Worse yet is being an “early adopter” meaning you and everyone else that bought into a distribution and were largely responsible for its early-on success, getting screwed later on by the distribution owners. The distribution you thought you were helping build is not the one released. All that work, wasted.

Gee, that sounds a lot like a certain Insiders Program, huh?
:wink:

Har har har har! I used that line on my wife. It didn’t work with her, either.

7 Likes

Well i would tell you are all F ing hypocrites The distro website you are slating made Garuda with out it their would be no Garuda shame on you and @Bro .

1 Like

Funny, I thought they were just saying that appearances don't prove much....using that other website as an example of good things NOT appearing impressive (and the early Garuda site was not exciting either!)

we must agree to disagree on opinions we both have a different perspective.
Plus both Arch a Garuda have a different view of what a website and operating system should be arch is aimed at pros Garuda at new-users but it never intended to be a new user distro :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Arch website may not be pretty (which tells about its visual appearance (which is customizable) and installation process (that improved over the years)), BUT it has GREAT documentation -- the best Linux documentation all around -- and that matters a whole lot.

Still -- I'd have gone for Manjaro or Zorin OS if it wasn't for Garuda. Both of which have good websites and smooth installation process. In fact, I installed Zorin OS on my wife's laptop.

Now I realize that although Garuda's Optimus Manager gave me trouble with Virtual Machine GPU Passthrough; Manjaro's Bumblebee would have given me a whole other range of problems (HDMI output, performance). So I'm grateful for the choice.

Btw having different opinions is perfectly fine -- having your own opinions means that you're sane. It's no reason to get angry.

2 Likes

I don't know how I got dragged into this scuffle, but my opinion is that both Garuda websites were good, just the latter one better than the former.

An easy to read and understand what's going on, "above the fold" as they used to say about newspapers, is very important. First impressions, right? Garuda and Arch's mainpages both fulfill that, although Garuda's lacks an explanation about what it is. A short paragraph would be nice. The Garuda Wiki does a good job of explaining that, though.

I believe both are representative of the 'id vs. ego' of each, you might say.

4 Likes

Looking at Garuda website again... to be truthful, scrolling down gives all the important info. But above the fold is a lot of wasted space without saying anything. Above the fold gives the impression that Garuda is a pretty bloatware without substance -- what many are saying. Many won't scroll before doing a review.

If you could add just a paragraph about Garuda's vision, why you created it. That would help a lot.

And perhaps adding news. Roadmap somewhere in there, too.

Integrating Twitter as news feed "could" be fine -- except that it would betray Garuda's value of privacy. Core values cannot be compromised.

Another critic of Garuda is that it's a student's creation that could be abandoned at any time. What would provide more assurance of long-term support?

The part that makes me stick to Garuda is "Be the change you want to see in the world". I can tolerate potentional downtimes and hickups if I believe in the team and vision.

But from my perspective, the reason I chose Garuda is to have a real hacker fine-tune all the details for me, so that I get the system I could take weeks to tweak out-of-the-box. Makes me look like a pro Arch user on first touch. There really isn't much left for me to tweak. Garuda is for those who want to use their computer to get stuff done; not those who want to work 'on' their system endlessly. Those (optional) "bloatware" are things I'd be installing anyway sooner or later.

3 Likes

I rather believe that there are more than one reasons for becoming successful. Performance, beauty, security, respect to privacy and website etc. are all very important. No reason is bigger, none is smaller. They are all equal in my perspective.

We are not here to provide anyone assurance, to be honest. All we want is to introduce an Operating System that is nice, in our opinion. It may sound rough, but we don’t want to mend our ways just to make our Project “best for everyone”, because that can’t happen. Everyone can not be satisfied at once. And that’s very ideology of Open Source as well. You are free to choose whatever you like, modify it however you like, use it wherever you like, but you have to accept other’s freedom as well.
We, the community, like our website, and we like our operating system, and that’s a good enough reason to have it the way it is.

5 Likes