Octopi not launching

Hi @anon41163585, anything you can do in Octopi can be done in the terminal instead using Pacman or Paru. You'll need to learn a few commands, but as was alluded to in the discussion above it is a more reliable package management system.

What specifically are you trying to do?

5 Likes

Octopi stopped working, had garuda linux already installed, updating through octopi caused it to break.

Sorry to hear that @FusionDragon. Please do not use Octopi for updating your system. In the terminal, run

garuda-update

This is a special script designed by the Garuda team specifically for updating your system the best way possible to avoid things breaking in the future.

1 Like

I hope that this doesn't sound rude, but if it is included with the installation why shouldn't it be used with the function of updating/installing applications?
I get the same symbol error, is this issue specific to octopi or is it a potential issue with the interaction of an already established system being updated? Some others here stated they had no issues on a freshly installed system.
I used garuda-update, while the script works it did not fix the octopi issue, I tried "sudo pacman -S octopi" and it still didn't fix it.

That doesn’t sound rude, it’s a fair question. I guess without getting too long-winded, the basic answer is the GUI software tools are useful for certain things and people like them, but the scripted update tool is better because there are a lot of safeguards and corrective actions built in to the tool. garuda-update helps correct issues that might be obscured away by the GUI tools like Octopi.

My understanding is there is a bug or similar with Octopi at the moment, I honestly don’t know much more than that. My advice is to avoid using it for the moment until the issue is identified or fixed.

1 Like

I appreciate the concise answer, I'll see if it ends up fixed later. Thank you again.

Welcome :slight_smile:

I like your avatar, except for the bright background :wink:

</Off topic>

3 Likes

Alrighty! @TNE triggered a rebuild on octopi after I confirmed it was giving me the same results as has been reported here, and now it's in chaotic-aur rebuilt, I've tested it, and it is good. Personally I'm still going to recommend pacseek over octopi for the reasons of these GUI package tools being prone to system breaks, and pacseek is just a TUI search tool which you can run and type what you're looking for nicely. :slight_smile:

But, octopi should be back in working order as the chaotic-aur mirrors propagate.

4 Likes

Chaotic-aur mirror propagation is approximately a minute just FYI, you don't have to worry about it at all basically.

3 Likes

Friends, my respect! This problem also happened to me, unfortunately. I decided quite simply ... In the Garuda settings, I noted two points for reinstalling the two Octopi and Pamac packages. After that Octopi earned. All the best!

1 Like

I have good news for everyone, if you try to update again, the problem gets fixed, a new version of Octopi has been released that fixes this problem :grinning:

2 Likes

When this kind of things happen, I would like to know how to rollback :thinking:...

1 Like

Rolling back is a cinch @anon41163585, check it out: Restoring snapshots to get the system back to working state | Garuda Linux wiki

2 Likes

Same here! It works!! I was ...I was like....

5dc6c50caebd45a65c2270cc947ab835

3 Likes

Thank! It's supposed to be transparent, maybe the png didn't take too well. A friend made it for me I'll let him know you like it.

By the way, it is a .jpg, so it has no transparency.
Ask your friend for the .svg file :wink: and save it as .png yourself. Can also be that it was converted during transfer (chat, Telegram).

2 Likes

It's a png but I think the website converted it. I have it on discord and other platforms and it's transparent.

Also on topic, octopi has been updated and is now working, this issue can be closed now.

After a post is mark as solution, it closes automatically 2 days after ...

BTW, my avatar (png) is saved as .webp and transparent, anyway, it does not really matter :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.