Newbie here - take a look at this beauty!

I'd been meaning to swap over to an Arch based distro for a while, and did a fair amount of experimenting. I have had a Linux run-in period with Mint for about 18 months and still use it as an all-in-one utility distro on my desktop, along with RHEL for learning that family, windows 10 as an ultimate fall back if I need to get something done quickly if needed (it never is - I never use it) and now Garuda KDE Dragonized which I plan to make as my primary desktop OS.

I also have a dual boot laptop with Manjaro and windows now, and a little test server with Ubuntu Server... so I have a lot to take in.

First impressions are stellar. I love the look and feel, I like the fact that you need to put a little bit of effort in familiarising with the environment. All my Steam games, so far installed, work well. There are no obvious glitches on the panel - although I'm sure I'll find some along the way as is always the case.

No problems with the Grub - very straight forward, which is of course important for me. The only slight complaint so far is Octopi's GUI - it could be a little more informative on the packages.

Anyway, take a look at my desktop...it's a thing of beauty....seems new users can't post images...nevermind, later.

Glad to be here.

12 Likes

Hi there, welcome to the community.
Glad to see that you liked the distro.

See ya around !

4 Likes

Now I can post it:

10 Likes

Welcome!

Nice to see ppl with a big joy for Garuda :slight_smile:

have a good one o/

3 Likes

Welcome to the Garuda community. :wave:

6 Likes

Good place to share Garuda screenshots is

6 Likes

Welcome to Garuda!

2 Likes

I prefer Octopi but many prefer PAMAC, which, though GTK, is more "informative" per se. Install it with Octopi. :wink:

Welcome to Garuda Linux!
:smiley:

4 Likes

ya know...bauh is not half-bad, either.

1 Like

If you want a GUI, KDE's discover is very polished.

4 Likes

Or just ditch the GUI in favour of becoming more familiar with the terminal considering it's much more efficient and better to learn in the long run. Kinda like spending the time learning vim although I'm never touching that bastard ever again lol

4 Likes

Basically, Garuda, would prefer our userbase to practice using the terminal for system updates.

A GUI is fine for browsing software and/or an individual install, but for reliably updating the system the terminal is king. :crown:

4 Likes

True. Although Garuda assistant is a GUI for opening the system update tool in the terminal :wink:

2 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Chit Chat - (Silliness factor 5)

LOLOLOL....you asked what time it was (mentioned Octopi) and we all told you how to build a watch (described package management alternatives)!

Linux users....'nough said.
:rofl:

2 Likes