New distro for semi beginner who likes gaming

Hey, I am looking for a distro to use and learn some things, I have worked as a network analyst mainly using windows for a couple years. I am going to learn more python and head towards being a cloud engineer as a main focus and main OS being Linux from now on.

I am going to be using this to learn bash, python and Linux generally, I have used pop os for a couple weeks and i am familiar with bash installing KDE desktop enviroments and general commands to get started with python, some networking and gaming (wine, proton, lutris).

Would this be OK for a semi beginner to start on whilst still wanting to play games on steam whilst I learn, let me know. I like the look of garuda and the comments regarding gaming potential too. Any thoughts on this? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Why not!

Happy Linuxing/Garuding

4 Likes

Hello, welcome (and hope you'll stay :slight_smile: )
As I imagine you know, Garuda is based on Arch and Arch is not usually a recommended distro for newbies.
The main obstacle of Arch is usually believed to be the installation process (and the concept of creating everything from scratch), but this is solved with Garuda.
By the way that is a great "learning opportunity" :slight_smile: . I laugh because that term is used a lot here recently.
The real hurdle, in my opinion, is starting with a "rolling release", and all the risks that come with being always (or almost always) on the "bleeding edge".
My advice is to look at this as an opportunity, to learn Arch package management well, try to understand why things sometimes go wrong and what can be done about it.
Arch makes available its almighty Wiki, which in my opinion is an absolute plus such that it is a compelling reason to choose Arch or a derivate.
Here in our forum you will always find a help and also several helpful tutorials.
For me, the ones in "Packages, repositories, pacman, pamac, AUR etc." in the FAQs and Tutorials TOC at first (but after getting properly familiar with pacman & Co.) were literally enlightening.
Most importantly: you have a technical background, you had to learn a lot, so you know how to "learn." What are you worried about? Jump on board! :wink:

6 Likes

Welcome :slight_smile:
Just use

6 Likes

Nice! Will look at this cheers dude

2 Likes

Great reply, this is what i was worried about the rolling release, might aswell get on with it now haha, thanks for the info mate :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t be. In the end, rolling distributions have about the same amount of breakage as fixed distros do. Howeverr, with rolling distributions you get the pleasure of updating them very often. Arch, upon which Garuda is built, has daily updates. :smiley:

Welcome to Garuda. We kick your cat for you!

3 Likes

Also a new garuda user here. I found it easy to set up with minimal issues. Mainly using for gaming.

7 Likes

Welcome! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

4 Likes