Need help to choose different Hard drive for downloading update or creating timeshift backup

Hi community. Hope you well in this pandemic. I am here to ask is there any possible way to transfer the location to another hard disk for downloading system update by doing (sudo pacman -Syyu) or downloading software or creating timeshift backup by default. And making a bridge so that the garuda system access those files form that provided location. I have already created another BRTFS partition on my secondary hard drive. As a newbie i don't know this technical things. If there is way please help me to change the location. Thank you.

Information about system.
Using: Garuda KDE dragonized edition.

I am not sure I entirely understand your questions but I can give you a couple of answers:

• Timeshift, when using btrfs, doesn't support sending snapshots to other devices
  • It is possible to send btrfs snapshots to others devices via the commandline using btrfs send, btrfs receive

As for the rest, you might have to explain what you are trying to accomplish in a more clear way.

5 Likes

If what you want to do is use a disk other than the one the operating system is installed upon, I would do (and do) this:

1. Obtain the UUID for the second drive. Probably the easiest for a newcomer is to use gnome-disk-utility (you may need to first install it).
  2. Mount the drive in /etc/fstab. There are plenty of examples around.
  3. Reboot, then symlink the data directories to your first drive's /home/your_user directory and you should be good to go.

On the other hand, if what you want to do is store your Timeshift snaps on the secondary drive and be able to restore from there, you can't (at least not yet) with BTRFS. You can store copies of the snaps there as @dalto explained, but you cannot restore from them at boot.

regards

3 Likes

i am understand your speech. What about downloading update. Is it possible to download update into another hard while doing (sudo pacman -Syyu) in terminal.

Basically in clear way. i hope you use IDM (Internet Download Manager) on windows or XDM (xtream download manager ) on garuda. It have two location for downloading files. One is temporary location for saving part part of that download and second location is that you provided for saving that file after compiling from ( part part files ) from temporary folder.

Now my question is while download the update via terminal is it possible to use another hard disk for temporary folder (for downloading updates) and than use root partition for update the system form that download location.

Clearly: i want to download the update via terminal on my secondary hard dive. And install update on my system.

(Reason behind this post) : i am installed my garuda operating system as dual boot with my windows 10 system on my NVME SSD. As we know that SSD life time depends on write rate. Now i want to use my secondary hard drive for downloading stuff

2 Likes

I have already gnome disk tools installed on my system. Do you have a tutorial so that i can understand in better way.

My second question to you is it possible to auto mount my additional hard disk. Because i used qbittorrent. While my garuda system start qbittorrent shows files missing. which basically happened for not auto mounting additional hard disk. Somewhere on web i show an article that gnome disk manager can auto mount the additional hard disk. Bad luck i lost it.

Please refer to @SGS's post above. But to answer your questions:

No, I do not. But I just explained the process to you in my post above. Can you not research from there?

Yes. See the above.

That is incorrect. Qbittorrent has nothing to do with your operating system. You might want to remove Qbittorrent, along with its configuration files, and then reinstall it. And Qbittorrent will not recognize that additional disc until you mount it, assuming that is where you want torrents saved.

Fstab is your key. If you research Fstab in the Arch Wiki you will find your answers.

I'm not going to respond further. You are obviously a relative newcomer to Linux and I recommend you learn how to research and become largely self-supporting. These forums and this distribution are mostly created and staffed by advanced Linux users who have devoted years of their lives to the pursuit of learning Linux. This is how they became so advanced.

And while we may be standing on the shoulders of those Linux creators and learners, if we ever want to become like them, then we must put in the work. Just like they did.

Giving you the answers does not accomplish anything of value.

3 Likes

If you just want to keep your downloaded packages on the slower drive, there is a much simpler way to accomplish this. Your downloaded packages are stored at /var/cache/pacman/pkg. You can mount that location on your second drive.

4 Likes

You may also edit /etc/pacman.conf and alter your default cache path.

CacheDir    = /var/cache/pacman/pkg/

The Arch Wiki is your friend for this sort of info.

5 Likes

I would think this would be the indicated method for a beginner when using BTRFS. It can be kind of tricky defining volumes and sub-volumes with BTRFS (as I learned). :smiley:

Also, OP, if you want to download updates but install them offline, you can do that as well.

4 Likes

Yeah i am newcomer and i love to learn. Thanks i will learn about fstab.

1 Like

ok thanks about your info.

By the way i have learned about fstab. But i have a question regarding to auto mount drive partition which is

i am little confused for options section (mount option) which one should i choose for auto mounting? Is it auto or noatime or default? Although i am reading this wiki

https://man.archlinux.org/man/mount.8#FILESYSTEM-INDEPENDENT_MOUNT_OPTIONS

my requirement is that partition are being auto mounted during boot.

man fstab
1 Like

Gnome Disks will mount the drive via fstab automatically for you if manually editing fstab is a little out of your depth. Gnome Disks is pretty simple, just play around with the programs options and you should be able to figure out how to use disks (or do an online search for info).

3 Likes

I personally go with Garuda's defaults...

"defaults,noatime,space_cache,autodefrag,compress=zstd,commit=120 0 2"

...on my own data HDD if it's formatted with BTRFS, which I believe is how you formatted yours, right? I'll add "ssd" before commit if it is on an SSD. There are a few other parameters you can apply, but they don't matter much.

You're free to do it however you would like, and if you are formatted in EXT4 (or any other filesystem), for example, fstab may be written slightly different.

I never mind answering technical questions by users like you who have done their research. It's actually a pleasure. I know that others feel the same. I remember how daunting Arch can be at first. Still is, for me. :wink:

regards

3 Likes