Need help in removing "Welcome to GRUB!" on boot

I'm trying to get rid of Welcome to GRUB! message at boot. As I searched on net I found

1. this.
# cd /boot/efi/EFI/Garuda
# echo -n -e \\x00 > patch && cat grubx64.efi | strings -t d | grep "Welcome to GRUB!" | awk '{print $1;}' | xargs -I{} dd if=patch of=grubx64.efi obs=1 conv=notrunc seek={}
  1. grub-silent

My question is, will grub-silent work with Garuda? If not, if I proceed with 1., will it persist even after updates (updating GRUB)?

Thanks in advance.

If the GRUB menu weren't essential for me, I would like to test your net find. :wink:

2 Likes

After messing around by myself I figured out that none of the methods remove the time took for the welcome message. Just removing the message but still waiting for the same amount doesn't make any sense for me. I need to keep on sacrificing those ~2 seconds.

Sorry for creating this thread

You can limit it to one second in /etc/default/grub = grub timeout=1.

But what you see as a solution is not one.

1 Like

… then you can certainly change it.

Have you tried systemd-boot?
I’ve heard it’s lightning fast.

3 Likes

This isn’t I’m concerned about. What I was about is the time before GRUB menu. Just ~2 seconds (sometimes even ~5 seconds and rarely even more), not a big problem as it’s just a matter of seconds, but on every boot I’d like to boot as fast as possible without unnecessary welcomes.

I haven’t thought about that. As you have suggested it I’ll give it a try. But I don’t want to lose the new Plymouth theme!
Edit: I’m not sure if it clashes with Garuda’s timeshift, but since petsam recommended I’ll try it.

Before Grub is your BIOS, IDK what it check or why but that is not Guruda or Grub releated.

But it says “Welcome to GRUB!”, so it must be GRUB taking time just to welcome me?

Ah, ok, than you must ask the Grub developer. I have also some time (~ 1sec.) but most of the time I dont see this. I start my PC and go to the kitchen to get myself a coffee. :wink:

Joking aside, how many times a day do you start your PC?
I have to change the DE more often, I have 5 Garuda DE to test on it.

An old computer, but I'm also still used to copy operations, 256 KB on floppy disks, where you not only got coffee in this time but could also set it up before.

Everything is relative, hope you can beat the time even further.

Hope translation go well :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s called “dd hour”

2 Likes

Hm as I said above it’s not really something to think too much of. Just wanted to figure out if it’s possible.

For me it happens often that something causes my PC saying booting in emergency mode and asking to see journalctl -xb (don’t remember the exact message but this command I remember), and login (after SDDM) takes long. Also, last time a strange thing happened, no icons for folder, all executables were shown as text/plain mime type, no program was launching except KDE’s native apps like Konsole/System Montor/etc., even timeshift, giving error something related to gtk. This is still an unsolved mystery for me.

As I don’t want to spend too much of time in troubleshooting or searching for solution., as I know my hard drive is giving S.M.A.R.T. error, I just reinstall all packages (this is one of the very useful things I learnt from Arch Wiki). But sometimes, as this time, this too leads to the same emergency mode thing. So I need to login, restore snapshot, again check if any improvements, restore,… this keeps on happening. Anyway, I’m not bothered about it, it’s fun to timetravel :smiley: but for this the ~2-5 seconds seems unnecessary to wait sometimes.

Anyway this isn’t a big deal to deal with, so no worries.

Edit: I forgot to mention

one more thing I faced was that “Reinstall all packages” through Garuda Assistant gets stuck at last, after everything done, at Syncing all file systems…, which also leads to the same thing above :sleepy:
Anyway, I keep it hidden as I don’t want to mix up issues here.

2 Likes

There can only be a poltergeist behind it. :ghost:

4 Likes

Removing "Welcome to GRUB!" message / Newbie Corner / Arch Linux Forums

(Accessed 01/19/2023)

Download the source code and remove the following lines:

grub-core/boot/i386/pc/boot.S     | 2 +-
 grub-core/boot/i386/pc/diskboot.S | 6 +++---
 grub-core/kern/main.c             | 4 ++--
 3 files changed, 6 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

From grub-core/boot/i386/pc/boot.S

/* print a notification message on the screen */
-       MSG(notification_string)
+       /* MSG(notification_string) */

From grub-core/boot/i386/pc/diskboot.S

/* print a notification message on the screen */
-       pushw   %si
-       MSG(notification_string)
-       popw    %si
+       /* pushw        %si */
+       /* MSG(notification_string) */
+       /* popw %si */

From grub-core/kern/main.c

/* Hello.  */
-  grub_setcolorstate (GRUB_TERM_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT);
-  grub_printf ("Welcome to GRUB!\n\n");
+  /* grub_setcolorstate (GRUB_TERM_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT); */
+  /* grub_printf ("Welcome to GRUB!\n\n"); */
   grub_setcolorstate (GRUB_TERM_COLOR_STANDARD);

Compile it yourself and run your new binary.

2 Likes