Multi Boot: Garuda Linux + Garuda Linux (with encryption)

I’m not sure why you think that, and I wish you wouldn’t be so quick to make assumptions. I’m trying my best to be clear and I think I’m asking a valid question.

Encryption in my opinion should be a standard feature in this day and age. And multi-boot is not so unusual in the Linux world–some graphical installers (ubiquity, calamares…) even give the option to ‘install alongside’ an existing OS. (though encryption complicates this).

Maybe your issue is that it seems like I am asking for simplicity while proposing complexity? Maybe it would help you to think of my question as searching for the simplest solution for a somewhat complicated goal. I don’t find that unreasonable.

Well, I’ve outgrown the kiddie pool, but I’m not quite ready for the deep end without my floaties.
All-Linux multi-boot isn’t so complicated in many cases, some distros/installers make it really simple out of the box. Encryption isn’t so complicated these days either. Where it gets semi complicated (for me at least) is combining the two.

Would I be correct in paraphrasing your perspective as: “What you want can be done, but its not simple, and its not recommended, and may cause problems, and its only for advanced users?”

Honestly, I prefer to avoid multi-boot, normally I would just install a new distro to a VM for a few weeks, to test before deciding to use it as my main and only OS, but with Garuda VM’s are not recommended or stable, which led me back to considering multi-boot until I decide if Garuda works for me (and is stable enough) and decide on a flavor. Depending on how complicated it is, I might decide its not worth the effort or complexity. But I’m not ready to do that yet.

Yes.

No. It doesn’t make sense. By definition, a complicated goal has no simple solution. The simplest one is complicated. Don’t forget to look for the reference, when using superlative/comparative adjectives.

Totally subjective (and wrong IMHO) opinion. Installing encryption with an installer that makes it easy, tricks you, so you forget future maintenance/troubleshooting.

Yes.

But it is a hyperbole wanting to make all the assessments in one go (in parallel). I suggest a serial testing, assessing one requirement at a time.

Good luck with your journey! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Possibly there is a language barrier here. There is no contradiction in the above statement in English. “The simplest solution FOR a somewhat complicated goal.” I’m not expecting simplicity in the abstract, I’m just looking for the simplest method of achieving the goal, some added complexity is inevitable but there are many shades of grey.

I agree, it is subjective, or maybe more accurately its relative. Encryption definitely adds complexity and potential failure points (and greater consequences). But from the point of view of the end user, its become easier and better supported and integrated these days (in Linux and on other platforms). GUI’s can definitely sugarcoat/mask complexity.

I suggest a serial testing, assessing one requirement at a time.

This may be what I end up doing.

Alternatively, I have two unused drives, I wonder if it would be relatively straightforward to install one OS to each drive so the installations are fully compartmentalized from each other. I think it may be straightforward, but its not something I have experimented with before or read about.

Good luck with your journey! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks

Νο.

It’s not about the lexicography.
It’s about the meaning. You focused aside. It doesn’t matter. You’ve got the message. :wink:
Simplest is not necessarily simple.

I respect your kindness. Though I don’t bite :laughing:
If I continue to reveal my psyche analysis, nobody will be happy.

In the end, adding the necessary philosophy,

In life, you get as much as your effort.
Πέτρος (Petros)

:sunglasses:

Experience is the best teacher.

1 Like

Ex.: fewest changes; least number of steps.

Perhaps? :slight_smile:

Exactly. Perhaps.
Knowledge comes out of experience, reading is not enough.
For a rare combination, you can’t know unless you’ve tried it.
For the record, the specific OP question was answered with certainty :wink:

2 Likes

Which is, um, “perhaps” why I like it here so much. A large share of the folks in this forum, along with those who created, maintain, and promote Garuda are those known to me for awhile. It feels as though, over a period of time, a measure of trust has been established. And that’s not something lightly given to any one person, much less an operating system distribution as young as Garuda. You see, it’s the people behind Garuda that I trust, not the 1s and 0s. :smiley:

best regards

8 Likes

This was my thinking fewest changes, or maybe more accurately fewest number of potentially breaking changes.

I’ve been experimenting and have found a system that works in a VM using rEFInd, that was somewhat simple to implement, but I have no idea how stable it will be, and I have no idea if it is the best solution or even a practical solution.

My first test was a simple 3 partition system (1) /boot/EFI (2) encrypted OS A (3) encrypted OS B using rEFInd to choose an OS.

My next test (what I’m working on right now), a 5 partition scheme the same as above except two additional unencrypted btrfs boot partitions. Not sure how this will go, it has some advantages and disadvantages (the disadvantage being that it diverges from Garuda’s default partition scheme and requires more to be changed manually which I am struggling with). I’ll probably stick with option 1 but there are tradeoffs.

And I still consider my original question open and unanswered.

You are free to dream whatever you like, or have illusions.

What you asked is not a support request, it’s an advice. In order to provide an advice, someone should have implemented your imaginary scenario for you to test it works.
Listen to what you ask.
You ask others to stop what they are doing and work for you for an imaginary and with no specific purpose hypothetical scenario, which is so rare I have never heard of a similar one for the last 20 years of my Linux experience.

There is no sensible reason to have two identical Garuda installations on the same drive, unless you are a Garuda contributor.

If you have a nice project that may give us profit, I could do some testing, with a price.

Please, stop wasting our free time.

2 Likes